I'll Be Honest, I'm Disappointed In "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp"

It's not as exciting as I was hoping.

110
Wallpaper Abyss

If you are disappointed in "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp," you are not alone.

When the game first came out, I was so excited. I was going to relive my childhood, for I was the queen of "Animal Crossing." I had gotten "Animal Crossing: Wild World" for my Nintendo DS when I was in the fifth grade, and I cared for my town as if it was my child. I plucked every weed in my town and constantly planted new trees. I dug up fossils and was determined to finish all of the exhibits in the museum. I made sure to talk to all of the animals in my town on a daily basis to maintain my relationship with them. If they tried to move out, I spent at least ten minutes trying to convince them not to move.

I looked forward to holidays because I knew that there would be a super cool event going on. I collected every single piece of acorn and snowman furniture, and when I was not playing the game, I was on forums learning about hidden secrets to the game (that sadly never turned out to be true).

Needless to say, I had absolutely no life. But I also was extremely excited to see the release of "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp."

I knew from the start that it was not going to be nearly as awesome as Wild World. Obviously, a free game for a phone is not going to be as in-depth as a (then) $50 game for the Nintendo DS. However, I was still excited to relive my childhood to some degree, and to be able to play my favorite game once again.

When the game first came out, I immediately downloaded it. I loved every second of it, and I felt like I was back in fifth grade again. I got to walk around and talk to different animals; I was able to fish and collect bugs, and although building furniture took some time, it was not nearly as annoying as some other apps. I did not feel obligated to spend real money on "leaf tickets" to make progress in the game. I was pleased and could not wait to expand my campsite.

However, after a month of playing the game, I already lost all of my interest. I never thought that I would miss the extremely annoying, con artist Tom Nook. He overcharged his loans on houses as well as his items in his store, but having a loan on a camper is so much less dramatic than having a loan on a house. I miss stressing that I catch all of the winter bugs and fish, because the museum is counting on me to complete the exhibit, duh. I miss shooting presents out of the sky with my slingshot and hitting every rock in my town until I found the one magic rock of the day that gave me 10,000 bells. Without having all of these annoying daily tasks, I feel like the game is pointless. I understand that Pocket Camp tries to add daily tasks to keep the game interesting, but it is not nearly the same as the original Animal Crossing games.

RIP Animal Crossing...and my childhood.