Dirty Dancing: A Review Of The ABC Remake

Because no one puts Baby in a corner.

52
YouTube

In 1987, almost thirty years ago this August, Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze dazzled audiences as they told the story of an unforgettable summer of romance, carrying watermelons, and, of course, dancing. Set in the pre-turbulent year of 1963, the original "Dirty Dancing" touched on issues of class struggle and reproductive rights in a coming of age story that has grown to become a classic for movie-watchers of all ages. Due to its flawless dance numbers to its unforgettable soundtrack (who could stop thinking about that final lift to Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes' "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"?), it's not hard to understand why the film has retained its popularity for watchers of all generations.

Two weeks ago, ABC released an updated version of "Dirty Dancing" starring Abigail Breslin and Colt Prattes as the principal characters, Baby and Johnny, and featured popular actors like Debra Messing and Sarah Hyland. As to be expected, many viewers were skeptical for this remake and the day after it premiered, it seemed as if every social media site was flooded with reviews hellbent on tearing this new take on "Dirty Dancing" apart.

Being a huge fan of the original film, I, of course, had to get in on the conversation. So, without further ado, here is my own personal list of what worked in the remake and what didn't.

Let's start with the positives:

1. Abigail Breslin as Baby

A little disclaimer, obviously, no one can touch what Jennifer Grey did with Baby in 1987. She was the first actress to bring the character to life, setting the standard for all future actors playing Baby in staged adaptations of the movie. That being said, for all the criticism that Breslin received for not being the most "graceful" dancer, I thought she actually made a pretty spot-on Baby. Sure, she was a little awkward at times, and admittedly she is not a professional dancer, but in my opinion, she captured the spirit of the character. Breslin's Baby was a strong-willed feminist who was not without her own insecurities, as to be expected with most young women at the time in their life before they go to college. Breslin's enthusiasm for her role shined through in every scene, making her performance fun to watch.

2. Sarah Hyland as Lisa

In the original "Dirty Dancing", Baby's older sister, Lisa, is a ditsy 20-something that has her mind set on finding a wealthy husband and performing in hula skirts. In the remake, Hyland's Lisa certainly starts out the same way, but after a run-in with the less-than-charming waiter and med-student, Robbie Gould, Lisa changes her mind pretty quickly from chasing after Harvard boys. Instead, we see Lisa develop a friendship with Marco, a new character who plays with his uncle, Tito in his band, and instead of a cringy rendition of "Hula Hana', Lisa performs an acoustic version of Bob Dylan's, "Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright" with Marco.

3. Baby and Penny's Friendship

In the original, it's no secret that Penny initially isn't so warm to Baby and is quick to even brush aside Baby's sincere compliments. But in ABC's version, Penny, portrayed by professional dancer, Nicole Scherzinger, is eager to help Baby practice her moves and their number to "Whole Lot of Shaking Goin' On" was animated and entertaining.

4. Neil

Ah, classic Neil Kellerman. Fans of the original will remember Neil as Max Kellerman's awkward grandson that is heading to Harvard's school for hotel management. He plays with Baby's hair and demeaningly calls her, "kid." In the updated version, however, Neil, played by Trevor Einhorn, though still a bit of a stickler for the rules, also encourages Baby to pursue dance lessons and agrees to keep it a secret from her parents.

And now onto some of the not-so-stellar moments:

1. Baby's Parents

I can appreciate what ABC was trying to do here; they attempted to spice up the drama between the Housemans by creating a plot line in which we see Mrs. Houseman very frustrated after being taken for granted in her marriage to Dr. Houseman. Both Debra Messing and Bruce Greenwood gave solid performances in their own right, including two solo vocal performances. But ultimately, this added story didn't so much add depth to the Houseman family as it did add to the overall runtime of the movie.

2. Baby and Johnny Chemistry

I admit that I was a bit torn when it came to the romantic scenes between the two. On one hand, I understand that ABC is a more family-friendly channel, so the overall "sexiness" might've had to have been toned down a bit for younger viewers. However, unlike in the original, Penny's pregnancy was addressed outright by name, not with phrases like, "She got herself into some trouble," begging to question why the "Cry to Me" scene couldn't be more outwardly sexy aside from a few dips and a shirtless Johnny.

3. The Final Dance

This is it! This is the moment that everyone waits for when they watch "Dirty Dancing"! From the first few notes of, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" you know that you're in for a stellar show of partner dancing. In the original, Patrick Swayze effortlessly pulls Jennifer Grey close and they stun their audience of stuffy Kellerman's club members to a point where everyone joins in on the fun as the movie draws to a close. Unfortunately, although Breslin and Prattes' final dance is cute, it lacks the romantic energy of the original and they only dance for about a quarter of the song!

4. The Ending

Out of all the changes made to ABC's version, this one, in my humble opinion, was probably my least favorite. I always liked to think that at the end of the original "Dirty Dancing," Baby and Johnny ended up together even after the conclusion of their final dance. There's never any confirmation that they lived happily ever after, but hey, I'm an optimist. ABC's remake, however, did not leave anything up to the imagination and concluded the movie with a grown up Baby watching the Broadway adaptation of her book, (also entitled, "Dirty Dancing") for which Johnny was the main choreographer. Johnny tells Baby to "keep dancing" and she leaves the theater with her not-Johnny Castle husband and young daughter. Essentially, they broke my poor, little Dirty Dancing-fangirl heart!

Ultimately, ABC's remake doesn't touch the original, but I do think that they were able to create a solid tribute, though certainly not a replacement. It brought the characters and dance numbers back to life for a new generation of viewers, thus ensuring that no one puts 'Dirty Dancing" in a corner.