What Difference Does One Year Actually Make?

Turns out, a lot.

1 year. 12 months. 365 days. 8,760 hours. 525,600 minutes. 31,536,000 seconds.

Have you ever thought about what happened a year ago from a personal experience that changed your life in one way or another (good or bad)? Have you ever thought about how the time in between then and now has molded you into who you are in this very moment?

I know. Big stuff right?

Yes, because whether you choose to admit it or not, recognizing the seasons that you have progressed along and continue to advance through is such a monumental stride to moving in the right direction. Because when you choose to see the truth about where you've been and where you're going, you are taking responsibility for your choices and your actions.

And that, my friends, is called growing up.

A few days ago, it dawned on me that it had been just over a year since a circumstance completely altered my path in a way that I never expected. It was a situation I had never found myself in. One where a line was crossed and it was my fault. One where I had to rely on the people in my life because I couldn't manage to handle the consequences of my actions on my own.

My decisions on that day determined a domino effect that I couldn't control. I got so caught up in the moment that I didn't think about how one choice would affect so many other people.

Here's to say that being careful all the time and tip-toeing around our lives is not a way to live, but that experience appeared to be one of the important ones where I learned to be more grateful for the people in my life who take care of me with no questions asked, to not just assume that everything will just fix itself, and to believe what's true when I see it firsthand.

Of course, for a prolonged period of time, I swam in my own pride and shame because I was too determined to keep up the persona that I was OK. And as a result, I only found myself gasping for air on the other side because I had been refusing to accept the facts for far too long.

A year later, and I'm different, but I wouldn't change anything because I'm a year older, a bit smarter and sharper, and a little more prepared for what's next.

I've learned the balance between being self-fish and being kind because my decisions do affect other people. And I've learned what's important long-term — the things that I will carry beyond college.

Looking back and coming terms to with your past is one in which only helps you move forward. I'll be honest and say that sometimes it takes a long time to forgive yourself and admit that you may not have made the best decision.

A year may not be the magic number for getting over whatever has been holding you back, but it's a stepping stone into where you will be going next. Be proud of how far you've come and continue with eyes that are looking forward. You deserve that.