Did Pete Carroll Make the Right Decision to Pass the Ball?

14

Down 28-24 with under 40 seconds left in the Super Bowl and at the goal-line, Pete Carroll elected to throw a pass that was then intercepted. Let's repeat that. Pete Carroll did not run with Marshawn Lynch to win the Super Bowl. Many analysts have since dubbed it the worst play call of all time.

But was it really that bad? According to CBS.com, since 1998, teams had been faced with second-and-goal from inside the two-yard line, with less than five minutes left in a game where they were down between four and eight points (so it is still a one-possession game, but they are in need of a touchdown) and have passed it 34 times. Russell Wilson threw the 34th pass and it was the first to be intercepted.

To go along with that, Marshawn Lynch has rushed five times within the one-yard line this season and he only scored a touchdown once. Even though it was the Super Bowl and Lynch was 100 percent in #BeastMode, the stats seemed to agree with Pete Carroll.

However, Bill Belichick fooled Pete Carroll. Belichick made a questionable decision to refrain from calling a timeout after first down and that confused Carroll. Carroll believed that he could sneak a quick slant for a touchdown, but Belichick was in the perfect defense and Malcolm Butler made a spectacular play on the ball.

Although, statically, the call does not seem horrible, in the Super Bowl everything is magnified and Pete Carroll made a big mistake to end the Seahawk’s season.