Did Ed Sheeran Just Save 2016?

Did Ed Sheeran Just Save 2016?

After a year long absence, Sheeran makes a welcoming but cryptic return.

7
Did Ed Sheeran Just Save 2016?
Jan Kuča

I think we can all agree that 2016 has kind of been a dud, as far as being a year with good things. Trust me there were plenty of things that made me happy this year, from my exciting internship to an amazing summer with my family, it wasn't all bad, but there were definitely a lot of negative moments as well, but let's not dwell on that.

Something big just happened this week, and if you have read one of my prior articles you may know why this week is good. This past week after a lengthy hiatus, actually a year to be exact, was broken when Ed Sheeran tweeted a mysterious blue square. This mysterious tweet could only mean one thing, right? That the red headed musician is about to make a triumphant return to music...

As an avid Ed Sheeran fan, I can only explain this occurrence as one of the redeeming moments of 2016. In a year filled with "work" anthems and otherwise subpar music moments, this promise of an imminent return has many sighing in relief.

Last year on December 12, Sheeran posted a note to his fans on Instagram, which was shared on Facebook and Twitter, it read:

Hello all. I'm taking a break from my phone emails and all social media for a while, I've had such an amazing ride over the last 5 years but I find myself seeing the world through a screen and not my eyes so I'm taking this opportunity of me not having to be anywhere or do anything to travel the world and see everything I missed. To my family and friends, if you love me you will understand me buggering off for a bit, to my fans, the 3rd album is on its way and is the best thing I have made thus far. See you all next autumn, and thank you for being amazing.
Ed x

This post was the last thing fans had heard of the singer, and were gladly greeted with this mysterious tweet a year to the date and time since his last post.

Along with the post, all of his social media accounts posted the blue square as well as set the color as all profile images and cover photos. This sudden emergence, may not seem like much, but if his prior album art is any indication, Sheeran has an affinity for bright colors. Maybe we have the ultimate Christmas gift on the horizon or a simple promise that 2017 will be a lot brighter, especially with a voice like Sheerans.