Your Ultimate Survival Guide For A Denver Relocation

Moving to the Mile High City.
82

Relocating to Denver was a lot easier before everyone tried doing it at once. I remember the first relocation guide I wrote, thinking, what happened to the good old days when people would move and figure it out as they go? It only took two weeks of living in Denver for me to realize how wrong I was. I found myself lost on the internet, overwhelmed by endless possibilities for my future.

Using a guide to relocate doesn’t mean you’ve admitted defeat, or that you’re lazy, it means you understand there are an unlimited number of directions you can take your new life. The Denver metro area, in particular, is a very wide-spread region made up of ten different counties. This makes it difficult for newcomers to find a starting point. Start with this guide and your Denver relocation won't seem so intimidating.

Establish an income

This will probably be the hardest part. From 2014 to 2015 over 100,000 people moved to the Denver area. You can imagine how this impacted the job market. It would be wise to research the Denver employment trends in your field to determine if moving here is even a possibility. For example, Denver is known for having a notoriously low number of healthcare positions and a seemingly high amount of software developers and analysts. Overall the number of jobs available has dropped noticeably since last year at this time.

There are a few things you can do to set yourself apart from such a big crowd. First, build a jaw-dropping resume. Next, register for a free month of LinkedIn Premium. Normally the cheapest premium plan is still 60 bucks a month. Hopefully, you can find a job within that first month so you never pay a monthly rate.

Find a place to live

It’s smart to find a job before housing, then you have the option to live close to work. First, you must decide if you’re looking to rent or buy because each will give you entirely different search results. As an out-of-stater you may be confused why so many full-sized counties are considered part of the Denver metro. Rather than feeling overwhelmed by your options, remember that each area surrounding Denver has its own personality. Having such a wide variety of culture in one city will be a blessing once you find which neighborhood is right for you. Be sure to avoid living in areas where criminal activity is known to be high.

Look for fun things to do

With so many options for outdoor adventure, people tend to make day trips to Denver’s nearby mountain towns like Keystone, Breckenridge and Estes Park. Fortunately, this has helped several spots only 30 minutes or less from downtown stay hidden gems. Such as Golden's Lookout Mountain, Cherry Creek State Park and the William Frederick Hayden Park.

Denver may be home to many outdoorsmen but the city’s shopping selection is surprisingly impressive. From the iconic outdoor 16th Street Mall to the variety of indoor malls (I recommend Park Meadows or Cherry Creek), there’s plenty of places to shop. The music scene in Denver is worth bragging about too. Between Red Rocks and several other more personal, indoor venues the city hosts reputable artists every night.

No matter where you move, the future will hold an infinite number of possibilities. It’s your job to weed out the bad ones and figure out which parts of Denver vibe with you best.