People Used Demi Lovato’s Drug Addiction To 'Clap Back' At Her, And It Was Not Acceptable

Joking about things of this severity is never OK.

92

After famous rapper 21 Savage was arrested by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) due to his apparent identity as a U.K. native, social media responded in one of the only ways it seems to know how to: memes. On the night of the Super Bowl, most were paying less attention to the uneventful game and more to the jokes about the rapper's deportation.

But when singer Demi Lovato decided to join in on the fun, many saw this as "crossing the line," using her tweets to demonstrate why 21 Savage jokes weren't funny.

Of course, it is always OK to share one's opinion and try to educate someone else as to why something may not necessarily be funny, but things escalated when people decided to utilize Demi's, who is 6 months sober after an overdose, drug addiction against her.

Demi responded on her Instagram story saying,

"Wasn't laughing at anyone getting deported. I know that's not a joke. Not have I ever laughed at that. The meme I posted/was talking about was of him being writing with a feather pen. Sorry if I offended anyone. But it's no excuse to laugh at someone's addiction let alone their OD."

She later deactivated her Twitter, claiming that reasons like this were why she doesn't come online in the first place.

Using drug addiction against someone's mistakes is about as toxic as it gets. Drug addiction is a disease, one that takes thousands of lives each year, including other influential musicians like Mac Miller and Lil Peep. As many defending Demi pointed out, the idea of overdose is never funny when someone dies, and had Lovato actually been killed from it, it would not be up for jokes.

Ultimately, the kind of disputing that escalates to this extent is one of the big faults of our generation and society as a whole. We need to begin to understand other human beings and their stories, and if one wants to share an idea with another, they need to do it better.

Speaking to my own generation, we need to do better.