5 Degrassi Plot Misfires

5 Times 'Degrassi' Storylines With Potential Failed

So close, but no.

287

"Degrassi" has run for many years and covered many important issues. However, they don't always do the best job with these storylines, and I'm going to talk about the 5 that bothered me the most. This list will exclude opinions related purely to ships.

1. The Feminist Club

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

So, the Feminist Club enlists Maya to help them turn one of the male bathrooms into a female bathroom. What's wrong with that? Well, nothing, except that there was already an equal number of bathrooms for men and women at the school. Trying to make a 60/40 split in favor of women and call it feminism is not really a good look. While they end up winning their fight and getting their extra bathroom, the opposing side isn't really looked into. The girls just say "we take longer to go to the bathroom, so we should have an extra bathroom" and that's kind of the end of it.

2. Hunter & Yael

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

I have some issues with how Yael's storyline in general went, but as a cisgender woman I don't think it's my place to express them. However, I talked to one of my NB friends about the way things with Hunter and Yael went down, and they agreed with me on this: the fandom is making Hunter out to be a terrible person for not being able to immediately accept Yael's new identity, but the whole group was pressuring him to figure out what her identity meant for *him* and *his* sexual orientation, instead of just letting him be with Yael as a person. The pressure for *him* to figure out *his* identity based on what Yael was doing was completely wrong. At the end of the day, Hunter likes Yael, Yael identifies however they want, and Hunter shouldn't be pressured into defining himself in any way. That pressure is why he got mad and didn't want to stay in the relationship; not because of Yael's identity.

Side note: Where did Yael even come from? And what happened to Arlene? Did Yael eat her? I love Yael, but like, where in the world did they come from?? They just showed up in an episode like we were supposed to know who they were already.

3. Jack's Polyamory

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

Let's be real, Jack didn't have a single storyline of her own. Her entire character revolved around Imogen, and I can't stand characters that exist only to be part of a ship. One chance the writers *almost* gave her to have a storyline of her own was the polyamory plot: Jack tells Imogen she doesn't want to define their relationship because she doesn't believe in monogamy. This would have been an interesting plot for the show to explore, but the whole thing gets written off as Jack being too afraid to commit to Imogen, and is resolved at the end of the episode when they both decide to label the relationship.

Side-note: What was Imogen's sexuality? She's portrayed as bi or pansexual from the time she starts dating Fiona, but then Becky calls her a lesbian in their last episode. That part was always confusing to me. Imogen still liked boys; that's why she tried to rebound with Adam after Fiona left.

4. The "I Did It" Video

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

The TV universe seems to have only recently caught on to the idea that "oh, yeah, if someone's that drunk, the sex can't be consensual". That throws a wrench in this whole plot where Drew is supposed to be the bad guy for sleeping with Katie instead of breaking up with her like he was supposed to, and then breaking up with her once he sobers up. However, considering how drunk he was, which I believe Katie noticed (forgive me, I don't rewatch this episode very often), she's not exactly innocent in all of this, and that doesn't get addressed.

5. Grace's Sexuality

The *one* good thing that came out of the writers' sloppy decision on Grace's sexuality was that Miles's "she doesn't dress like that to attract boys/she must be gay because of how she dresses" comment is canonically bullcrap.

That being said, it would be a small price to pay for Grace to have had a better storyline. The fandom came up with a better explanation than the writers did: the reason Grace didn't like having sex with Zoe could have been because she's asexual. Not because she always had a crush on Zig that was never even MILDLY hinted at until after this episode, and was just *trying* to like Zoe. This plot literally felt like the writers decided at the very last minute that they didn't want Grace to be attracted to women, so they threw a dart at the wall and decided on the Zig plot.

We got a vague asexuality plot with Connor, but Grace would have been a good way to really get into that. Unfortunately, it got scrapped in favor of a random forced het ship.

What were your least favorite "Degrassi" misfires? Leave them in the comments!