Defined By Christ

Defined By Christ

When did we allow numbers to define us?

15
Defined By Christ
Daughter by Design

Numbers. Ever since i can remember, numbers have played some influence in my life since childhood. Throughout elementary school I was defined by my reading level, my grades, or my state exam scores. These numbers played a role in my identity and continued to increase in middle school as teachers began ranking our performance in their respective class. It was made known our performance and who was on top. In high school instead of being known as Amanda people knew me for my rank academically or a number score based on attractiveness. It seemed no matter where I went or what I did a rank or score was determining my worthiness and ability.

When did we forget that we are not defined by these numbers people attach to our shirts? Rather we are defined by God, which is the same God that sent His only begotten son to save us, so we may not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

"He makes all things beautiful in His time" Ecclesiastes 3:11

God has made a masterpiece in you, and He does not make mistakes. He has made you flawless, equipped, and destined for greatness. You are beautiful. You are worthy. You are loved.

"See I have engraved you on the palms of my hand." Isaiah 49

When you feel down and low, remember God engraved your very name in the palm of His hand. Imagine that... Realize how much you are worth in His very eyes.

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

It is okay that we may not be the prettiest, smartest, or the person with the most friends. God cares about what is in our heart which we showcase to others in our speech and conduct.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

It is easy to conform to the world and everything that is occurring around us, but He says DO NOT be conformed. Instead of living a life focused on numbers, pride, and achievement, we should be living a life focused on God. We should keep our eyes fixed on Him as we bring individuals closer to Him and share his word. We should focus on His will rather than the will of the world.

As test week or test grades loom around the corner, remember that scores do not define us. It is easy to get caught up in our GPA and test scores and allow it to prove our worthiness or capability, but that isn't true. This semester define your life by the way God sees you because He sees greatness in you.