A Deeper Meaning To Children's Stories And Gender equality

Teaching kids about real life through children's book... family, friends, the right and wrong thing to do, manners, and now GENDER EQUALITY!

1304
unsplash

The Giving Tree, The Rainbow Fish, The Lorax, Matilda, Where The Wild Things Are. Recall any of these books? I am sure everyone single one of you has read at least one of these books in your childhood or to your child. Why are these top-selling books?

I bet you have never asked yourself why some children books are way more successful than others. It's because there's a deeper lesson that lies within what you believe to be just a children's story. Kids love to read them because they don't know they are learning valuable lessons and parents love reading them because they seem to find the hidden meaning without even realizing it.

I read my brother books before bed and I notice topics including love, friendship, family, moral values, and much more.

However, I have yet to come across a children story that has to do with gender equality.

A very prevalent topic in today's society, yet I still hear my brother saying “boys are stronger than girls”. I ask why he thinks that and his response was something I expected “Because Superman is the strongest person in the world and he's a boy”.

This is not a bad thing, it's just a topic that is not expressed to kids at a young age. What we believe in our future life will always reflect what we learned in our childhood.

I believe change starts with a single person and happens with a big group. So why not make gender equality into a fabulous, top seller book? I decided to be that one person that starts the change.

Never have I ever written a children story nor have I ever even written a decent poem, but I said Hey! Why not?

What you are about to read is something I hope you show to your children. I hope you print it out and make it a book they like to listen to. At the time, they probably won't realize how huge this topic is, but as they grow up and open their eyes, they will be able to proudly say they understand and they want a change.

Pam takes a stand

By: Drewe A. Raimi

Dan and his best friend Pam both worked for a really unfriendly businessman.

Pam was a young 18 and Mr. Businessman was old and mean. “Is it because I’m so young?” Pam said while she twirled... No Pam. It's because you're a girl.

“Well that's not fair, we have the same degree!” I wish that's the way Mr. Businessman would see.

But that's the world, my dear friend, inequality will simply just never end.

As they went on with their work of blowing up balloons, same size, same string, and same ties. For all this work she does, making balloons into flowers, she only gets paid 8 dollars an hour! Pam got curious and couldn't help but ask.

“Hey Dan, how much do you get paid”

“12 dollars an hour, but please don't be sour. Now go take a lap and stop thinking about the wage gap.”

But Pam was mad, upset, and quite sad. “I am a girl and I am proud”

So she stormed her way down to Mr. Businessman's office and brought up this uneasy topic.

“You are a boy and I am a girl. Dan and I both went to college and acquired the same knowledge. But how come he gets more money than me? Do you think that's the way life should be?”

This question didn't make Mr. Businessman concerned, he wasn't even fazed, so Pam asked him for a raise.

“I am not asking for above and beyond, I just want you to fairly respond. 12 dollars an hour is what Dan gets, with that raise I'll be able to afford the same assets. I will be free of debt, bills, and tickets. I will be rid of-”

“Stop! You will not get a raise, a bonus, or another check. You’re just simply not the best! You want proof, I'll even give you a test!”

“Count all these balloons in less than an hour, if you don't succeed you won't gain any more power."

So Pam started at one until she was left with none! She finished with 39 minutes left and that was the moment she knew she was the best!

“I finished your test, now you cannot threat that I am not good at my job”

“Well.. we don't have money for a raise! You did good kid, now go on with your day.”

Pam walked away with her head down low knowing she should have gotten that extra dough. But Pam just wouldn't stop, so she thought and she thought. What if she tricked Mr. Businessman, that would give him a kick! Pam put on her suit, jacket, and boot and BAM she looked exactly like a man!

“Hello, Mr. Businessman my name is Bob! I am here for my interview for the opening job! I have the same credentials as those already employed and promise I will not disappoint!”

“Welcome to Balloon Overpower… We’ll start you at 12 dollars an hour!”

At that moment Pam knew she had to say farewell. She got the raise but not as herself. She refused to stay at a place that gave her a smaller sized check just because of her sex.

That very same day she got hired! It was because she was very admired. Pam stood up for what was right, not only is she making 300 bucks a night, but brought attention to a serious problem. Don't let anyone treat you differently because you're a girl, you have all the ability in the world!