'Death Note': Is Not Following Source Material a Good Step for Hollywood?

Adaptations can be a hit or miss.

35
flickr

In today’s run on adaptations and movies, Hollywood has its fair share of ups and downs. Many movies are usually made as an adaptation to an original line of work. Most times, it’s a hit and other times, it’s a downhill miss. Movie adaptions are created to expand the visual idea of the original content and create an appeal to the fans of said series. However, is film today meeting the expectations of fans of the original source?

Recently, Netflix has been in the making of taking many original sources and providing their own outlook and spin on stories. With this year being the release year for book adaptations such as "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and "13 Reasons Why"(both are really great by the way). Nonetheless, there has been a movie under the Netflix production in which a huge view of hardcore fans and hardcore nerdcore fans have been in anticipation for… "Death Note." If not yet known, "Death Note" is a manga story made by Tsugumi Ohba turned into an anime (Japanese cartoon). The story follows Light Yagami, a high school student as he attempts to create a new world cleansed from sins and God through a notebook from a Shinigami named Ryuk. The supernatural notebook gives the user the ability to kill anyone he wishes with a name and face. Throughout the story, an unconventional genius and international detective, known as L, tries to stop him. "Death Note" presents questions for the viewers that are not easily answered and challenges everyone's morals. Is it right to kill others who have done wrong in the world? Will their deaths create a perfect society? The series is one of the best for its deeply complex and riveting story as you watch these two beloved characters intertwine deeper into a war of power, intellect, and ambition as the plot unravels. Watching the anime, the suspense hangs over you, drawing you closer to know what happens next. You will definitely not be disappointed.

As a fan of the franchise, it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth trying to watch this film. So much from the original content was never implemented and at some point I felt as if I was watching a parody, leaving me to cringe at every second. Most of the main characteristics of the characters are not prominently showcased in the movie such as the actor Nat Wolff showed a more goofy persona compared to Light’s cold ruthless nature. The remake turned "Death Note" into a teenage melodrama that condescends the original material. However, the supporting characters such as Mia had a more advanced part of the story to create more dimension and keep the story entertaining. If not yet known, most animes that have turned into Americanized movies have not been successful in the past couple of years. Movies such as "DragonBall Evolution", "Avatar The Last Airbender," and "Ghost in the Shell" have been highly criticized for their terrible spin on manga/anime, lack of P.O.C. representation, and have created tension and distastefulness for hardcore fans of those franchises.

Movie adaptations of books are never a bad idea, and most times they end up being great (except for you "Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant"), examples being the "Harry Potter" series or "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World," etc. However, is it hard for filmmakers and directors to at least incorporate most of the original source into their line of work? Sticking to the original source is important when it comes to adaptations, it provides a visual idea of what the original content consisted of. Nonetheless, "Death Note" doesn’t exactly consist of any of the original content. With the exception of the Americanized version of the characters’ names, the movie doesn’t do its original concept any justice by having terrible script writing and not sticking to its storyline. In a recent interview with the actor, Willem Dafoe, Dafoe was asked if he had read any of the original sources to which he responded:

“Not so much. I didn't feel the need. Sometimes you feel like you have to do research to make something, other times you know you don't feel it so much. I felt it was purer if I just responded to the story, the images, and what Adam told me he envisioned.” Dafoe, Willem. NETFLIX'S DEATH NOTE: WILLEM DAFOE TALKS RYUK AND SKIPPING THE SOURCE MATERIAL, IGN, 26 Aug. 2017,

Now don’t get me wrong, there are some movies based on original material that does ascend beyond it and actually become better than its predecessor. Examples would be, "Fight Club" (1999), "Shawshank Redemption" (1994) or "Requiem For a Dream" (2000), etc. However, is Hollywood successful at making these new attempts? Many fans would say no, as they are irritated on how badly these movies can or do become. This becomes a total waste of viewing time and waste of good talent. It’s like watching a movie based on the three little pigs with James Franco, Johnny Depp, and Dwayne the Rock Johnson as pigs working for a construction company only to see Leonardo Dicaprio (the wolf of course) pull a Michael Bay and blow up the building. I mean that sounds cool and all, but it becomes a waste of everyone’s time. Hollywood directors should pay attention to the fans of the series they tangle themselves with. If this were to happen, it could be beneficial by attracting more fans, high scores on Rotten Tomatoes/IMDB, and cashing in big at box offices. Instead of receiving bad critics and low ratings.

Overall, is "Death Note" a good adaptation? No. It’s not. It’s beyond the level of being called good, it’s like that level in "Super Mario Brothers" that you never gotten to beat as a kid so you gave up and never played again. It’s not worth the watch or second viewing. Nonetheless, if you’re into really edgy, “emo-ish,” and cringey script written movies….then be my guest, just save yourself the hour and forty minutes and watch the original.