To Those Who Support Donald J. Trump

To Those Who Support Donald J. Trump

Because, ladies and gentlemen, there is such a thing as irredeemable.

68
To Those Who Support Donald J. Trump
Slate

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am well-aware that, as someone who uses social media on a daily basis, there is a possibility that you and/or one of your loved ones may be a Donald Trump supporter. And either you or they may have your reasons for giving out such support. You believe him to be the bastion of safety in an extremely unsafe world, the successful businessman who can't be bought out. Or you believe him to be the type that refuses to bow down to the altar of political correctness.

To which I ask you this: what do you think of his "sacrifices"? Ok, ok, some context is necessary here. As you very likely know already, the parents of slain Army Capt. Humayun Khan appeared during the second half of last week's Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. In the now-famous speech by the father, Trump was explicitly called out: "You have sacrificed nothing and no one!" Of course, you may not have seen it, since Fox News chose to run a Benghazi ad instead. But when Trump responded, he stated, "I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very hard. I’ve created thousands of jobs." Forgive me for being skeptical, but not only does it sound like a complete non sequitur, but it also downplays the legitimate grief a father and a mother suffer when their child predeceases them, especially in war.

Do you still support him, even after all of that? Do you blame the public reaction against him on "Crooked Hillary" and "liberal media"? Is there anything that I or anyone else can tell you that would make you change your mind? Are all of the answers you have for the previous questions are along the lines of "Hell yeah!" Very well then; I probably should have recognized this outcome from the moment I started writing this, and that you see me as the spoiled millennial who'll destroy America with a wink and a smile.

So, if you will, allow me to tell you like it is: at first, I grew to understand you and your candidate as part of a legitimate political movement. After all, many Americans are still dealing with real economic struggles. But now, due to bigoted comments like these and your mindless defense of them, I have come to see you and the rest of the Trump-supporting barbarians for what you are. I have to say that if the Islamic State did not exist, you are part of the new face of modern evil. And before you ask, "evil" is not a term that I use lightly.

Because more than anything else, you are certainly the face of every negative stereotype that the rest of the world has about our great nation. Of course, Trump already did most of that work already: perverting capitalism by encouraging excessive greed, taste that is gaudy at best and a complete eyesore at worst, mindless consumerism, and tendencies to treat women like Barbie dolls and minorities like they're the help or conduits to the forces of evil and/or tyranny. You just completed the picture by adding profound bigotry, complete idiocy and blind xenophobia. In other words, you are the greatest threat to American democracy since the Soviet Union under Brezhnev.

For the normal people who are viewing this piece, I apologize for the unprofessional rant that I just exorcised out of my system. As long as you vote (and usually doesn't matter who you vote for), you are perfectly fine. I'm well aware that many people are not very fond of Hillary Clinton, and I perfectly understand that. As for those who supported Donald Trump from the word "go" and constantly defend him, allow me to quote the last words of Jaques de Molay (as written in The Accursed Kings): "I summon you to the Tribunal of Heaven before the year is out, to receive your just punishment! Accursed! Accursed! You shall be accursed to the thirteenth generation of your lines!"

Yes, I know that this whole thing in general and that quote in particular seems so insanely melodramatic. But then again, the rhetoric espoused by a major candidate and his supporters sounds like that of a soap opera on the verge of cancellation. A retrograde, extremely bigoted soap opera with shoddy acting and even worse writing. As a good friend of mine stated, "I don't understand how someone that isn't totally insane or evil could support him. Party loyalty doesn't cover it."