Dear STEM Majors, Your Major Is Just As Hard As Mine

An education major will struggle with writing 10-12 page lessons plans for each of their courses, in the same way, that a STEM major will struggle with writing their 20+ page biochem lab report.
1071

Near the end of 2017, a trend appeared on Twitter, comparing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) majors to other majors. This trend illustrated STEM majors to have huge struggles in college and state that their majors are harder and way more straining than any other major.

Yes, I have to admit, if I had to take a STEM-related course, I would be extremely stressed. I am not the best at nor particularly fond of Science or Mathematics, and technology and engineering are two things I have no prior experience in.

Yes, STEM courses require patience, extreme amounts of time and effort put towards homework, projects, papers, and studying, and overall perseverance, but you cannot tell me that my major or anybody else's major, is not just as difficult.

This was one of the original tweets that started the STEM Major trend, on Twitter. Following this tweet, few users backed her stance by stating that she is correct and education majors have it easy because "all they do is color and babysit." While she had some users supporting her claim, many clapped back at the STEM major by stating that any major is just as hard as hers, even if it may not seem like it.

And I believe that that is a true claim. Every student has their strong suits, but even then, courses get difficult. I am a Journalism major and I find my courses to be very difficult, especially with the workload that I am given. Writing about eight four-page papers every single week is not an easy task. My boyfriend, who is a psychology major, often struggles with the four psychology courses he juggles at the same time because course materials for each class often intertwine with one another.

I have friends who are art majors, who are normally up until 3 AM every day, working tirelessly with PhotoShop and other side projects they do themselves to improve their portfolios. My friends who are education majors consistently create 10-12 page lesson plans for each of their courses and work aimlessly at passing our states teaching certification and licensing examinations. And yes, even the STEM majors who are always in the library, night and day, working on their 20+ page biochem lab reports.

The point is, any major is a hard major and any major will have a component that someone will struggle with. An education major will struggle with writing 10-12 page lessons plans for each of their courses, in the same way, that a STEM major will struggle with writing their 20+ page biochem lab report.

And to all of my current, future, or past college students, remember: Any college is a college, any degree is a degree, and any major is a major!