Dear Social Media

Dear Social Media

Social media is ruining the way we look at ourselves.

118

Dear Social Media,

I see what you're trying to do. You don't fool me. Your agenda is to sell. You want me to strive for the perfect life that everyone else is supposedly living. Scattered between pictures of my friends engagements, new homes, and graduations are ads for things to help me live up to their achievements.

You try to sell me make-up, clothes, credit cards, alcohol and anything else you think could make me happy. You promise I can look as stunning as that model if I just buy that contour kit. According to you I can dress with more style and draw in any guy I want. Truthfully, you are out for my money and nothing else. You pretend you only want to connect friends, but I see through that. You only show me the good sides of people.

When it comes down to it, no one has their life together as much at it seems on you. Social media, you fail to show me what goes on behind the smiles on every couples face. They surely cannot be that well dressed and happy all the time. Even the most perfect of relationships have cracks beneath the surface. Those people with their entire life in order even have moments where they doubt themselves.

You target the young and insecure. Everyone moves through life differently. There is no single path for life, additionally no one has the same goals and desires. You perpetuate the idea that there is a "right" way to live life. Social media, please go back to showing me cute pictures, what my friends are up to and funny content. If people weren't trying to conform to your standards we would all be much happier.

Sincerely,

Sick of it