Dear RSU...

My first year of college at Rogers State University has been bittersweet. I am transferring to the University of Oklahoma for the next 3 years. Don't take this personal because I know the RSU motto is "It's personal." Just kidding, but seriously don't take this personal. I want to grow and continue my education where I feel more academically challenged. I don't think I made a mistake coming here for my first year; it just wasn't the perfect fit as I had hoped and imagined. I can't pretend to love a school that I was never in love with in the first place. Maybe I just felt pressured because most of my other friends were going to bigger universities. Maybe I thought that I could get the same quality of education for cheaper. Maybe I wanted to be different and go to this small university instead. Whatever the reason was, I don't regret my choice. My graduating class was over twelve hundred students, it would make sense that I would go to a big college. I did like the smaller class sizes here like 40 students instead of 100. Nevertheless even with a smaller class size the professor can't help everyone so how is a class of 100 students different? How is RSU's motto "It's personal" when a professor can't talk to or help all of the students? Nevertheless, when I make a goal for myself, I aim high.

When I told some of my friends that I was thinking of transferring, they were curious. Some of them had begged me to stay but I told them that I had a better chance with my degree and even more opportunities somewhere else. If RSU doesn't have what I want to do anymore then I would be wasting time and money. In college, no one has the time or money to be wasting. I'm not criticizing RSU. In fact, I am completely debt free for my first year of college. Which is amazing considering this is a university and not a community college. Not that those community colleges are bad they just weren't my preference. I wish there were more events happening on campus every night. I wish there was more opportunities here. I wish the food in the dining hall tasted better. I wish the student life here was bigger. I want to stop saying "I wish" and say, "I love".

Don't worry, I will be back to visit. I hope to see the campus and community grow here while I am away. I need to do things for myself and make some tough decisions that will change my life for the better. I will miss my favorite composition two teacher Professor Beaird, she has encouraged me to grow and do the things that I may feel uncomfortable with for now, but these things will help me in the future. I will miss having psychology class with Hunter and talking about how funny our class can be sometimes. I will miss all of my friends that I have formed a close friendship with.

There are two more weeks of the semester, including finals week. I will cherish these last few moments that I have here. RSU will always be my school. It was my home for my first year of college, it always will be. This is not goodbye RSU; this is see you again later.