Dear Online Learning

Dear Online Learning

My online learning experience begins in five days and I am NOT ready for this change.

9
https://www.pexels.com/photo/notes-macbook-study-conference-7102/

Nobody planned for a global pandemic to hit during the middle of the spring semester, but that's where we are currently. With the given events, colleges nationwide have transferred their courses online for students to learn virtually for the remainder of the semester.

Many students, including myself, are not a fan of the idea of virtual learning, especially because we did not sign up for this.

I realize that there is no other solution, but I am scared like many other college students. Our semesters were thoroughly planned. An organized student like myself has planned accordingly to balance school, work, and social life already.

We have time-blocked our days already.

An organized person like me also despises change. A change to my routine is stressful. I am sure many other students can attest to this.

Making this efficient for students and professors is going to take much more than a Blackboard Collaborate or Zoom account. It's going to take patience, consideration, and lee-way among professors and students. Some professors aren't tech-savvy, and this may put a damper on students' learning experiences.

Learning online can be translated into teaching yourself in some cases. The inability of being "hands-on" is going to affect student's motivation, grades, and patience for the rest of the semester.

Personally, I will not be able to perform to my best academic ability.

I am supportive and grateful for the university's determination to continue the semester normally, but a refund should be in place for students. After all, we pay for in-class lectures and for the resources we have available to us on the campus.

I want to note that I also appreciate the option that was given to Rowan University students to switch to a "pass or no credit" grading system after final grades are distributed.

It will be a tough transition for everyone. I've wondered what happens if you don't have access to computer programs that are essential in some courses. For example, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. What happens if your finals are group presentations and not exams?

I commend the professors who are working around the clock to figure out what is going to work best for everyone. I appreciate the dedication they have put into our course schedules and the accommodations they are making with students.

It's only going to work if the students and professors have patience and consideration for everyone. We must make this work because we absolutely have no other choice.