Dear Mommy, I Love You

Dear Mommy, I Love You

My personal letter to my mom.

20
Dear Mommy, I Love You
facebook.com

I've been meaning to write a letter to my mom since I began writing for Odyssey. Now I'm finally doing it. Mom, when you read this, I hope you have tissues because you're probably going to cry. I get it, we're both cry babies and that's okay. So, here we go.

On July 6, 1998, ten days after I was due, my mom finally gave birth. I don't remember much, and I don't know that she does either, but I was here. Fast forward to January 11, 2016: I open my acceptance letter from American University. My dream had come true, and it was all thanks to my mom. Fast forward again to May 20, 2016: graduation day. My mom is yelling at the top of her lungs as I cross the stage. Fast forward one more time, it's October 7, 2016 and I'm whining about how much I miss my mom.

At this moment, I've been away from my mother for seven weeks. No hugs, no meals, nothing but a phone call once a day. I knew I would miss my mother when I decided to attend American University which is 14 hours away from home, 667 miles from Nashville's airport. I knew I missed my mom, but I couldn't figure out why. Sure, the food was fantastic and the hugs were comforting. But there was something else. As I sat in my math class, listening to my teacher drag on about parabolas, it dawned on me. There was no central answer. I missed my mom because I missed my mom.

Whether you're her child, church member, or someone on the street, my mom will help you as much as humanly possible. She doesn't care if she had to drive, give you money, take you to the doctor — she'll do it and she won't complain. My mom is the most selfless and loving person I know. She's been my rock and a rock to many others for as long as she has been alive. From childhood to adulthood, my mom has never once told me I couldn't do something. She and my daddy have been the number one cheerleaders in my life. She's pushed me to know that whatever I want, I can have.

People say often that her smile and laugh is what brightens up their days. I haven't seen that smile in person for thirty-seven days and it's insanely hard. My mother and I are best friends and always have been. We talk on the phone and end up talking for almost an hour. If we're together, she'll watch whatever dumb Youtube video I beg her to watch and she'll laugh as hard as I am. I could tell the dumbest joke and she would still crack up. That laugh at times is what pushes me through; her smile encourages me to keep going.

So, thank you momma, for everything you have ever done. Thank you for each and every hug, smile, "I love you," and everything else you have given me and everyone else. You deserve the world and even more. I love you, my very best friend!

Momma, I love you! POP HOLD IT DOWN!

Sincerely,

Your Favorite Child