Dear Little Sister

Dear Little Sister

Reasons why little sisters are sparkling gems in life.

34
Dear Little Sister
Chelsea Cagle

Dear Little Sister,

The day you were born, my life changed forever.

I had another person in this world that would become so much like me, yet completely different at the same time. You were 100 percent adorable and mischievous from day one. At first, I envied all the attention you were getting from our parents, but who could blame you? You were only a baby and an adorable one at that. I remember wanting so badly for you to grow up so you could play and talk to me. God knew I would need you, but He also knew the world would need you too.

Well, when you did start to grow up, it was hard because I realized there were always two little eyes watching everything I did. I never wanted to disappoint you. I wanted to be your hero. I never knew at such a young age that, one day, you would be mine. I always felt it was my job to carve a path for you, and I'd joke that I broke Mom and Dad in for you. Although you followed in my footsteps, you liked to stray off my path and create your own.

It was amazing to watch you.

You have always been kind. I don’t think you have one mean bone in your body and in weak moments, you always snap back. One thing people can always count on you for is your honesty. No matter how badly it hurts, you always do the right thing or say the right thing. You are courageous, and you don’t give yourself enough credit. You have such a tender heart that always loves deeply. You’ve always been accepting that way. You always help those in need, and you are loyal to a fault. I never question that you have my back because you are always there.

Usually, you are two steps ahead of me – not just because you outgrew me (you got the tall genes, brat), but also because your problem-solving skills are quicker than mine. You are the first to reach for my hand when I need help and the first to go in for a hug when I need love – which I used to hate, but you in all your beautiful ways softened this tough skin. Your strong will taught me patience. Your temperament taught me to slow down and listen. You're tough as nails.

I’m thankful for our closeness, even though sometimes it's probably too close, like when you come visit me, and you pick my bathroom lock while I’m in the shower to access my closet – once again borrowing clothes I won’t see again for a couple months.

You laugh knowing you are guilty, but when you laugh, I can’t help but forgive you. You always know how to get me to loosen up and laugh. I love how we share just about everything. I love our “telepathy”, and how we can always sense when something is wrong with the other. I love our inside jokes. I love how you get angry when you're hungry, and I love how a five-minute phone call really means an hour. Thank you for being my personal cheerleader, personal trainer, therapist and best friend.

You, little sister, are the reason I am who I am today, and I cannot thank you enough. I am so proud of who you have grown up to be.

Love forever,

Big Sis