An Open Letter Of Advice For Incoming College Freshmen

Dear incoming freshmen,

High school is a cake walk compared to college. There is so much more pressure on students; these next four years are not going to be easy. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you, it will be tough, there will be many sleepless nights, many days that you are homesick, so many assignments to do, days that you just don't feel like it's worth it anymore. You are going to be tired all the time, you think that you can make that 9 a.m. lecture but really you are most likely better off taking the 11 a.m. You are going to think that it's going to be super easy to take three or four classes during either Summer A or B, but honestly, it's going to suck and be really hard.

Now that we got the more negative part of college out of the way, we can focus on the more positive side of it.

While yes, college is stressful and scary and a big change from high school, it really isn't all bad. There are a lot of extracurriculars that you didn't have in high school, most likely. You are also away from your parents and can gain a little bit of independence. You will make a lot of new friends. There are so many events held on campus throughout the year. This is the time where you find yourself where you can become you. Grow and become an adult.

This is an exciting time in your life, this is the start of the rest of your life, as cliché as that sounds.

Get ready, this is all on you now, whether you go to class, eat a proper meal, do laundry religiously, go to the gym, hang out with friends, spend money on a shopping spree or groceries, go party till 2 a.m. when you have a test the next day. You have to make all the decisions for yourself, Mom and Dad won't be there to make sure that you are being responsible or if you have done your homework or if you are eating correctly. College is fun I promise, but it is also to get an education and be able to start a career.