To The New College Student: No One Knows What They're Doing

Dear Incoming College Student, No One Else Knows What They're Doing Either, You Are Not Alone

I read once that all college kids are in the same boat, and the boat is sinking.

37
Emily Ruezinsky

One of my biggest fears coming into college was that I didn't really know what I wanted to do. Heck, I still don't! But after two years of it, I've got a much clearer direction.

Please don't feel as if you are in a worse position than your peers because you feel a little clueless. Honestly, I've met very few people who aren't clueless.

When I came onto campus, I knew that I loved psychology, but that was about it. I decided to keep my eyes open for another field to study just because I had a lot of wiggle room in my schedule with the psych major, so I took a few exploratory classes and ruled out anything business-related REAL QUICK.

A few months in, one of my psych classes mentioned advertising in psychology and it piqued my interest. A few days later I went to an adviser just to see if picking up an advertising major would be a good idea for me, and that very day I walked out as a declared psychology and advertising double major. I didn't even know 20 minutes before I declared my major that I was about to be declaring a major, but it made sense, so I just kinda went for it. I think that's really what we are all doing.

Moral of the story, I didn't have my plans straightened out after I graduated high school. Heck, I don't even have them straightened out now, but I keep learning and narrowing my direction down as I go. You will, too.

I wish I could tell you the secret to picking a major that you love, taking only classes that will be useful for your degree or your interests, and landing a job or internship that suits you perfectly, but I've come to think that there is none. College is an exploratory time: there's a lot of trial and error, but I really do think that that's one of the best ways to learn.

To all of you who are about to start your college journey, I wish you the best! College is just as rewarding as it is challenging. Just keep in mind that no one else knows what they're doing, either, and you'll be fine.