An Open Letter To All Future Mothers

An Open Letter To All Future Mothers

I would never trade my awful stretch marks, new gray hair, the bags under my eyes, and my new "mom" body for the world because that is all part of the greatest journey.

234
An Open Letter To All Future Mothers

I remember the rush of emotions that I had felt as soon as that second pink line showed up. Excitement, fear, joy, disbelief, and shock all sent chills down my body. I had no idea just how much my world would change. During those 9 months, it felt like an eternity but in reality, they flew right by. In the blink of an eye, I was in the hospital bed waiting for my precious baby's arrival. After that last push and from the moment I heard her screams I was in amazement. They had laid her on my chest and I instantly felt a connection I had never felt before. I didn't remember any of the pain, and none of it mattered from that moment on. Becoming a mother is life-changing in so many ways- you are no longer you. The next month was such a blur, constant cycle of sleep, feed, and diaper changes. My emotions were high, and I was always so exhausted, but it was and always will be worth it. It is true when they say it gets better, and slowly you'll get into a pattern and you just become used to the tiredness. You will even find that the nights they sleep a little longer, you will wake up in a panic missing your baby.
A few things that I have learned in the short time that I've been a mother are that although you love your child and would never change a thing, it's okay to feel stressed and down sometimes. This is all part of the process. Not only are your hormones still out of whack but life is no longer how it's always been for you. It's important to find balance, I try to find some time each day for "me time". Sometimes that time may even end up just being an extra-long hot shower. Also, never feel bad asking for help.
Motherhood is one crazy experience that I'm so grateful to get the chance to experience. I would never trade my awful stretch marks, new gray hair, the bags under my eyes, and my new "mom" body for the world because that is all part of the greatest journey.