Dear College, Are You Over Yet?

To those of you who feel like they're just pushing through college, waiting for it to be over—I feel you.

I wish I could count how many times people have said that "college is the best four years of your life." If these are supposed to be the best four years... Oh boy, that's depressing.

No doubt that college has changed dramatically over the past generation. Never before has it been so difficult or stressful to be accepted into a college, and never before has there been so much pressure to succeed, build a resume, maintain a high GPA, have the perfect mix of extracurriculars and experiences, decide what career you want for the rest of your life... the list goes on.

I enjoy my time in college and appreciate all the things I can be grateful for at the moment, but, respectfully, I can't wait for it to be over.

This is different than wishing my time away because I don't want to rush my life and I know that I'm still not quite ready to enter the work world, but I just feel so far away from the excitement and freedoms that come after graduation. I can't wait to have a job that I can enjoy, and to have time after work instead of piles of homework, reading, studying, and more. Sure I'm learning important things in my lectures, but after so many required classes in subjects that won't truly add much to my desired skill set, I get a little worn out.

I feel like I can see the future I want for myself and the steps necessary to get there, but these next two years of college seem to be a huge roadblock just forcing me to wait. Like college is dangling something tempting from a string, conveniently keeping it just a tiny bit out of reach. Moving to a different state and pursuing an MBA? Starting a career? Doing something different? Yes, please!

I am so excited at the idea of having a career in something I'm passionate about, even though I know it most likely means hard work and not starting off where I truly want to be. I just feel like I've hit a wall with college, like I can't really go where I want to go and do what I want to do. Yes, this comes with its own set of stress (#Adulting #Bills #Responsibilities), but in a strange way, I'm looking forward to it.