My Best Friend Is Not A Person, And That's The Best

Man's best friend really is a thing.

72
Pooja Sharma

Dear Casper,

I can’t believe you’ve grown from the ferret-looking puppy that fit in the palm of my hand. From getting stuck under the couch to you not running away when you went in the yard without a leash, your baby months were priceless memories I will cherish forever.

I still remember the first time I realized how much you meant to me. Everyone was out of town, and I was supposed to be taking care of you. I had a really busy evening, and it was only your first week at home. You threw up, but I really had to leave for work. I cried the whole way there because you were so miserable away from your brothers and sisters, and we just left you to sit at home alone. It took some time for both you and me to adjust to the new situation. It took me time to stop feeling guilty, and it took you time to accept this as your new home.

As you got older, you started getting much smarter. The shenanigans you had planned never failed to suprise me. Whether it was chasing each other around the house in circles or cuddling on a cold day, you really became my best friend.

I know it sounds cheesy -- man’s best friend -- but it’s true. When I have to spend a full day at home studying for a big test, you keep me company the whole time. Although you distract me by constantly shutting my laptop with your paw and bringing me your toys, it would be a whole lot lonlier without you.

When I was stressed and crying that night, you were the only one there for me. Thank you for licking my tears and sitting by my side until I stopped. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, thank you for laying at the bottom of the bed pretending like it was you who got your teeth pulled. Thank you for always jumping on me when I was in the door, giving me something to look forward to every time I’m going home.

I’m sorry for all the times I yell at you; I really do love you. Don’t be a bad boy when I leave for college next year, or else Mom and Dad will be really mad at you. You only have to behave for one more year (I’m going to come steal you and take you with me the year after).

Love always,

Your awesome paw-some best friend