Dear Cancer, I Need You To Know

Dear Cancer, I Just Need You To Know What You Did

Nobody wants you around, but here you are.

719

Dear Cancer,

You've taken more than enough from me and many others over the time you've hung around. You took my grandmother, and I'll never know what could have come out of our relationship because you took that possibility of a close relationship away from me.

You take and take and take some more.

You're relentless — taking the long, blonde hair that my grandmother used to have, taking her energy and her spark as well. You took the healthy cells that she had in her body and turned everything into chaos — you turned our entire family into chaos, in dealing with the aftermath that you left. My grandmother fought you for five long years, but that just wasn't enough for you — you had to take someone that I never got the chance to tell how much she meant to me.

For that, I don't know if I can forgive you.

It's not just my family that's been affected by what you've done. In fact, approximately 609,640 people will die from various forms of you per year. (And, just so you know, there's more statistics listed here.)

That's thousands of families that are torn apart because of you. Thousands of lives ruined by the ache of losing a loved one.

And, it's not just the ones that pass or their families that suffer from you. No, the ones who survive you end up with horrible survivor's guilt and even Post Traumatic Stress Disorder because of the fight to end the war you're waging in their bodies. When will you finally get it that you're not wanted?

Well, I'm here to say enough is enough. I hope and pray that one day we are able to find a cure and finally put a stop to everything you've done. I hope and pray that one day we are able to stomp you out. Because, Cancer, nobody wants you around. Sorry, not sorry.

It's time to leave — don't let the door hit you on your way out.