How Do I Know If I Should Let Someone Go?
Lifestyles

Sometimes You Have To Let People Go, Just Make Sure To Appreciate Those Who Stick Around

Think of a tree in your backyard. You see that tree has roots underneath the soil, as well as branches, and leaves.

78
Photo by Mike Erskine on Unsplash

Tom Perry's video "Madea-let them go" got me thinking a lot about how relationships in our lives sometimes need to evolve. After graduating from high school, you see that many people decide to take many different pathways. Your closest friends from your high school class that you spent each day/hour with, decide to take different avenues in life.

Some of those avenues they choose may differ from yours and you start to notice that you are transitioning into a new phase of life. You are gradually maturing throughout life and have new personal experiences. You might be living in a different state, attending college, joining the armed services, working, or traveling. Aside from choosing different career pathways, there can be additional factors that come into play like dating, marriage, parenthood, and family obligations.

If you have a certain goal or dream you want to accomplish in life, there may be sacrifices you have to make. It could be moving out of your parent's home, living in a new city/state, and even leaving some of the closest people you love behind. Sadly, at times, there are some friendships you might not be able to maintain due to life circumstances.

You might have a guilty conscience before you embark on your journey asking yourself, "Should I do it? Will I be a traitor or will forget me? How is my life going to turn out?" These questions will come every so often in the back of your mind, but just know those people who stick by you through the good and bad are the people you should cherish the most.

Think of a tree in your backyard. You see that tree has roots underneath the soil, as well as branches, and leaves. The leaves come and go as the seasons change throughout the year. There can be some people that enter into your life for a certain period of time and vanish. They might only be there shortly to teach you a new life lesson.

As for the branches, those can be tricky. As a tree starts to grow, the branches start extending, but some branches can be weak or wobbly and break off. Unfortunately, in this world that is full of happiness and trickery, there are some people who have upset you deeply and you must learn how to let go.

Letting go some of people isn't easy because of the past memories and experiences that have been established with them. You find yourself feeling guilty at first because you might think you are being rude. If they keep offending you, rather than supporting you, then it is time to cut that person off.

Saying goodbye is not the easiest, but who you are depends on who you surround yourself with. You want to surround yourself with people who uplift you and bring nothing but positivity.

Back to the tree, there are the roots. By adding water, sunlight and proper nourishment, the tree can grow. The roots are what makes the tree grow and stay firmly in the ground. Having a couple of strong friends is better than many weaker ones. You can feel lonely in a large crowd, but you can feel loved with just a few people who care about you. The people who have your back are considered your day ones and can be your parents, boyfriend/girlfriend, professors, work companions, mentors, or some close friends.

If time has passed and you miss the old memories you share with some people, try to contact them if you can. If you want to re-establish the relationship, go ahead, just make sure it's supportive and healthy. Once in a while, everyone goes back and rewinds to the golden ages, just make sure to express gratitude and love for those who are with you now.