Dealing With The Winter Blues

Dealing With The Winter Blues

How to stop feeling so down when the weather gets cold.

35
Dealing With The Winter Blues

As we reach February, we enter into the third month of winter weather. This means that we've been experiencing many days below freezing, the holiday season has come and gone, and countless days of snow have passed. By this time, we are ready for the spring to come warm us up and bring us sun. Until spring arrives, some people experience winter blues.

The winter blues is an actual medical condition called seasonal depression. Don't get too alarmed at the word depression; this condition is simply feeling sad for longer, more consistent periods of time in the winter months. Each year the U.S. has about 3 million cases of this condition.

There are a couple different things that you can do to deal with the winter blues. The first one would be to brighten your environment. Of course, during winter the days are shorter due to fewer hours of sunlight. A good solution is to enjoy the sun when it is out by opening your blinds and sitting by a window. A pro tip for this one would be to invest in a happy light, which generates soft natural light just like the sun.

Another couple of things you could do is eat better and exercise more. Eating healthier will help you feel better about yourself and give you more energy. Working out generates endorphins that promote happiness. These two choices together are amazing when fighting against the winter blues.

Lastly, turning up some good tunes and spending time outside will totally benefit you. Even though it's super cold, going outside will still improve your mood and focus. When those rare warm days in the winter come along, be sure to reserve some time to go out and enjoy it! As for music, a great idea is to make a playlist of your favorites songs that'll make you feel better even on the coldest winter days.

Only six more weeks of winter! Don't worry, spring is sooner than you think.