Dead Poets Society: A Review

Dead Poets Society: A Review

One of the best movies I have ever seen

19
Dead Poets Society: A Review

Last week, I had the privilege of being shown a movie that I had always wanted to see: Dead Poets Society.

It absolutely changed my life.

Let me give you a brief synopsis: Robin Williams plays John Keating, a new English teacher at a Catholic school for boys. Right away I'm intrigued because of the obvious Catholic school stereotypes, and the fact that one of my all time favorite actors plays an English teacher (I've always loved English and I'm minoring in it). Over the course of the school year, he mentors these young boys through the use of poetry and other English concepts that eventually changes the course of their lives.

Now, as I said, I've always loved English. I'm currently minoring in it. Every English teacher I have ever had I've either really liked, loved, or even cried after leaving their class because I didn't want it to end (cough Mr. Laurange cough). John Keating reminded me of everything I loved about the subject and the teachers that taught it.

I also found that this movie had so many incredible life lessons. Seize the day, don't be afraid to try new things even if others put you down, take risks no matter the outcome, etc. I found myself falling in love with every single main and supporting character I came across, specifically Neil and Knox, and Mr. Keating of course.

I can't even describe to you in detail how much I adored this movie. It was everything I could have asked for in a movie and it 100% lived up to the hype that it's received over the years. It is without a doubt a timeless classic that I will continue to watch over and over again, and hopefully show my kids one day. This movie has without a doubt gone into my archives of the greatest movies of all time.

Now let's talk about the performances. First of all, Robin Williams is outstanding. I can see why when he passed away a few years ago, this was the first role people were drawn to when they remembered him (I personally quoted Aladdin, but at the time that's all I really knew him well for). His character is dynamic, humorous, kind hearted, and just an all around fantastic character. Despite going through personal stuff in his real life during the time of this filming, Robin Williams manages to leave that all behind the camera and give a commanding performance for audiences.

The young boys give just as commanding performances as Williams. Ethan Hawke (who was just as cute then as he is now) stands out as being the most well known from this movie aside from Williams, but they all stand out just the same. Most of these boys at the time had acted very little or not at all, so the fact that they performed exceptionally well speaks volumes about their talent.

I could go on and on about how much I love this movie, but I would have a very long review and it would eventually lose its purpose.

If you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. It will change your life.