The Best DC Bookstores

The Best DC Bookstores

For your next DC adventure

8
Emily Hausheer

The picture on the cover is me at Capitol Hill books.

Welcome to my gentle travelling reader! If you ever find yourself in the hope of marble buildings, the painted halls of Congress, the glorious rooms of the Library of Congress with its towering staircases, painted ceilings and stained glass windows this is for you. While walking the cobblestone corridors, where many have trodden before you are prone to stumble upon to a bookstore.

Books are a portal to new worlds and new ideas. There is something special about the eloquent words that drip from the pages into your imagination. One minute you may be crossing the Andes to liberate South America from a tyrannical empire with Simon Bolivar, the next you may be in Middle Earth trying to destroy the evil ring of power. DC is a city with many coffeeshops, and coffee has a found a perfect friend in books.

Capitol Hill Books

In the bustling Eastern Market there is a charming little place called Capitol Hill Books. Floor to ceiling books, and books piled up to the windows and even in the bathroom! This is where the coverphoto of this article is from (and yep, that's me!) A place of adventure to make you feel like Belle in Beauty and the Beast. I have picked up many timeless treasures from here.

Kramerbooks and Afterwards a Cafe

Pairs coffee and books! Its up by Dupont, the world of ambassadors and diplomats. I have seen many treasures here, and they have a great collection of foreign policy books in stock.

Bridge Street Books

If you my dear reader find yourself in Georgetown- go to Bridge Street Books! I recently discovered this place, and it has a wonderful collection especially in the philosophy and history sections.

Second Story Books

Also in the Dupont neighborhood this second story shop has some glorious antique books! It also has a diverse arrangement of topics, and wonderful sidewalk sales where I picked up a copy of Montesquieu's Spirit of Laws in the original French that I have been looking for for years! They also had a copy of In the Time of the Butterflies which has been eluding me for some time but alas it is in my hands.

Politics and Prose

I met one of my favorite authors (Marie Arana) here! It also has a cafe and has multiple spots throughout the city. True to its name it is full of politics and prose books!

East City Bookshop

Along Barracks Row this little place specializes in woman's history books. It also has a room dedicated to the dogs of DC! I have popped in here a few times while frequenting the cafes along this street.

the free books

"Take a Book, Leave a Book" is popular among Capitol Hill. These tiny wooden boxes are for you to drop off a book you think somebody else may enjoy, and take home a little treat of your own.

Honorary Mention: Library of Congress

The grandest library in the world is on Capitol Hill as well! Now my dear reader, you cannot take out or buy books from here- but you can get a reader's card and be granted access to the largest library in the world. You can even get your own shelf at the library to store books you are currently reading. The architecture of this building is glorious and breathtaking, as is the collection of knowledge.

Alas my dear reader, I hope you have enjoyed this glimpse into Washingtonian life. Do you have a favorite bookstore? Comment below!