9 Words To Bring Back In 2020

9 Words To Bring Back In 2020

Let's make our vocabulary groovy this year.

70
9 Words To Bring Back In 2020

What's up with everyone having such a low standard of vocabulary? I think words are so beautiful no matter what language they are in, but too often our words are basic at best. This stance on language is probably heavily rooted in me due to a favourite high school professor, Dr. Brunson. He made us write in absence of the word "is," and any speeches we gave better not have "verbal garbage" or "filler words" such as "like, uh, um," etc. I appreciate the work he put into us as students because it definitely served me well. It also affected my spelling because he taught us that British spelling appears more professional and esteemed.

But, I have a feeling these won't be his favourite words. They will keep your vocabulary fun and fresh though!

Groovy (adj.)

Dictionary.com defines this word as "highly stimulating or attractive." I personally feel like this word keeps things young. Sorry, but bell bottoms are not, in fact, groovy. Even though there were a lot of things like these exciting pants that should stay in the 70s, this word is not one of them. Imagine your significant other asks if their new outfit looks cute, and you switch it up by telling them, "You look groovy!" I don't know about you, but I smell brownie points.

Wacky (adj.)

A classic way to call something- or someone- crazy. If you know anything about me, you've probably heard me combine this word with "wild" for one of my classic catch phrases, "How wacky wild." Some things are just so out of this world that "wacky" really is the best way to go.

Paramount (adj.)

Synonyms with "important," this word helps emphasize just how important something really is. It's paramount that you drink water because without hydration, you will die. Sorry about it. When you call something paramount, you express that you've prioritized whatever it may be.

Adulation (n.)

One of my favourite unknown words used to describe adoration for another person. I think it's funny how things happen because I learned this word in September of my senior year of high school. Shortly after, I heard my English teacher use it consistently! When you learn new words, you pay attention to new words.

Emphatic (adj.)

When something has a noticeable force, it is emphatic. It's also a fun word to throw people off because many people are unfamiliar with the word. On a side note, it's just altogether fun to say (I would be disappointed to find out you didn't just stop to try saying it out loud; let's say it together, em-pha-tic).

Misanthrope (n.)

Some people just really don't like other people, and that's completely fair. Enough said.

Sardonic (adj.)

In this decade, sardonic fits perfectly. If you understand the petty song, then you should be using this word to describe bitterness and mocking. I mean, it relates perfect to the previous word because misanthropes probably maintain a sardonic grin. It makes sense at least.

Toddle (v.)

(I'm sure no one cared, but this one is my favourite) Many people make fun of me because this "isn't a real word," but here it is, defined as taking some unsteady steps. A lot of us toddle on an everyday basis, and we don't even realize it. Now you know. So, Mr. Travis, here's to all the times I asked you to "toddle on over" so that I could ask you a question about my essay.

Shrill (v.)

Okay, but hear me out - you're friends send you a funny meme, but instead of saying "OMG I'm screaming," you tell them you are shrilling. How spicy! I think if you include this word in your vocab, you will definitely keep people on their toes. You might even make them shrill.

Use these words this upcoming year to keep your language dazzling (another good word to put a pin in). These words cannot entirely fix your diction, but they can definitely help; if anything, they'll start you in the right direction. I won't make you write unique, original sentences for homework, but go out there and give one of them a try!