Mental Health Days In College

This semester I have realized the power of a good mental health day. Whether we want to accept it or not, college can be the most stressful time of our lives. While also being the best time of our lives, we can only push ourselves so far between tests, papers, clubs, leadership commitments, social lives, and work. There is only so much time in one day to get done a never ending to-do list and more often than not, this catches up to us.

I know for me personally there will be weeks that never slow down, when it feels like there is something taking up every second of the day and the list never gets smaller. Eventually, once I make it through these weeks, I crash and need almost a "recovery time"

One of the things I admire most about college students is how hard working we are. My friends impress me every single day by doing and accomplishing so many things and I think that should be more widely respected. College students are trying to balance a million things at once all while trying to prepare for their futures.

It is no wonder this takes so much out of us. We push and push and push until we crash. Just last week my roommates and I had one of those weeks. Personally, I was preparing for 3 tests all while running a fever and having bronchitis. I literally took my college career so seriously that I pushed off going to the doctor for 5 days. The saddest part is that I know two other students who did the same thing.

this is not okay people!!! yes we are in school to earn a degree and work hard, but we cannot do that if we are not taking care of ourselves also. As you can tell this is something I need to work on also, but we need to start making time to improve our own selves before trying to improve our grades or chances at the one internship.

After that long, sick week, I took this past weekend to rest. I allowed myself to sleep in, to take naps, to actually eat healthy foods again. It was like it totally reset my body. I left the weekend feeling refreshed and energized; something I have not felt in quite some time.

Even if it is not a whole day you take to treat yourself, give yourself an hour here and there to take a nap, go to the gym, watch an episode of your favorite show. I know how hard you are working and admire how serious you take school - but please please please take care of yourself.

There is so much power in rest and self care days. You were given this life to live the best version of it, which includes being the best version of yourself. You are allowed to take care of yourself and still be a successful college student at the same time - I promise !

From Your Site Articles