Daylight Savings Time: Pro, Con Or Confused?

Setting the clocks back an hour and our sanity back a month.

61
Sarah Marie Williamson

By now we should have all had enough time to adjust to the time change, but most of us can’t reset our bodies as well as our alarm clocks. Suddenly darkness dims all our expectations of leaving or coming back home after a long day’s work to find a couple more hours of daylight. Some of us, though, might prefer this change, especially as winter comes around and the cold weather tempts us to stay inside. Of course, there are also some people whose winter depressions start from this premature nighttime.

Whatever your preference, at least everyone has an opinion during this time of the year. Are you in favor of, against or merely bewildered by daylight savings? Find out below if these classifications do your opinion justice.

Pro.

Believe it or not, there is actually a handful of people who like setting their clocks and lives back an hour. This group might need a day to catch up to the regular order like everyone else, but by the end of the first week they are daylight savings time experts. People under this category might also not understand what the big deal about the time change for everyone else is. Sure, it gets a little darker outside a little quicker now, but that’s just a part of winter.

The group who prefers daylight savings time, at least during the end of the year, might also wish every day ended like this. While the early darkness usually means having to come inside at a sooner time as well, winter is the season when we are supposed to bundle up indoors. If you’re a daylight savings fan, nothing sounds cozier to you at night than watching an early evening sunset with a blanket around your shoulders and hot drink in your hands.

Con.

In my opinion, most of us probably fall under this category because change is already so hard to accept. Even worse, now we have to adjust most of our evening plans in consideration of the quickly dwindling day. While working in the garden or taking a nice leisurely stroll before dinner might have been your norm over the summer, daylight savings time often requires an extreme cut back on your outdoor activities. When you have to pick and choose which parts of your afternoon to enjoy, it can be hard to not start the night with a little resentment.

Of course, even if your plans might not be heavily impacted, this time of the year can impair one’s psyche more than we realize. If you are the kind of person who thrives under sunlight and warmth, daylight savings time might start your winter blues a little early. To combat this seasonal depression, be sure to make the most of your days outdoor as frequently as possibly.

Confused.

Yes, there are actually people who could take it or leave it when others praise or complain about daylight savings time. However, this group inevitably questions why daylight savings time needs to happen at all. These people are also the ones who mumble the little saying about daylight savings time to know whether to set their clocks an hour back or ahead. Overall, though, they accept it with a shrug and just try to not show up an hour too early or late. Then in the spring the cycle can start all over again.

If you count yourself as one of these fortunate few, consider using your position to help everyone else make the most of daylight savings. Curl up in front of a fire or watch the sunset with close friends and family who enjoy this time. As for those who still can’t accept the time change, suggest going to a late movie or event so that the fun doesn’t have to end with the day. Whatever you choose, just help make daylight savings time as smooth a transition into winter as possible.