To My Abuelitos On This Year's Day Of The Dead, I Have So Many Wishes

Thank you both so much for what you left behind.

447

Dear abuelitos,

It is that time of the year again where my mom makes some delicious Arroz con leche as we sit together at the table. My dad has so many stories to share about each one of you. The way he speaks about you makes me feel as if though once upon a time I had met you as well.

I guess I wish I had. I wish abuela could have made my Quinceañera dress and seen me walk down the aisle of the church as I celebrated my step into womanhood. I wish I could have met you, abuela. I know we would have had the best of times! You are one of the few people in the family with the curly hair and I know we would have come up with great styles to wear.

I wish abuelo could have been there when I walked down the stage and graduated high school, even if it was through video chat all the way from Mexico. We would have had so many laughs. I knew you would have taught me so much about the history of your beautiful country.

Thank you both so much for what you left behind. I have the best dad I could have ever asked for. He talks about you both all the time and I can't help but think he loved you more than life itself.

It is finally that time of year again. When we pray a rosary, set up an altar and remember you both. I don't have much to remember you by but as the years go by I know you are both watching over me.

Whenever times get tough, I talk to you both and I tell you about how hard everything is going. I know you hear me and I know you listen. You guys are some of the best listeners in the world.

Sometimes I wonder if things would be different if you were both still here. I miss you abuelos. I love you guys so much. I promise to put up the altar again this year and talk to you as much as I can.

I wish there was a way to ship this letter to heaven.

But I know that on this special day the gates to heaven open and you spend the day with me. I know that today my heart will feel complete and that vacancy will be occupied by altars, music, and stories.

I've grown up a lot since the last time you saw me. I've started my second year of college. I am counting down the hours for the celebration to begin. I am waiting for that glow in my heart knowing you are right next to me singing along or sitting around the table for dinner.

I can't wait to meet again abuelitos. Bless the Day of the Dead because I may not have met you in this life but your temporary visit from another life is the best thing I could ask for.

Los quiero abuelitos.

Con amor,

su nieta Angeles