A Day In The Life Of The Misunderstood Fashion Design Major

The daily life of a fashion design major you probably don't know about.

99
Allie Cole

Fashion is an often misunderstood industry. Yes, it is glamorous and beautiful, but it is also fast-paced, cut-throat, and innovative. The work that goes into creating what may seem like a simple garment is often overlooked. Just like any other industry, fashion requires hours upon hours of dedication, hard work, and motivation. Fashion majors work hard learning the business and perfecting their individual craft either as designers or maybe merchandisers.

Every Monday morning starts out similar usually with a fresh cup of coffee, or let's be honest purchased Starbucks in hand on top of a bus ride to the most beautiful part of campus, the old crescent. As you take the elevator up to your favorite place, the third floor where the fashion studios are located you begin to think about the day ahead.

Lucky for you, "lectures" consist of hands-on sewing or drawing "demos" that either blow your mind away or stress you out depending on the type of topic. You begin learning about some unique sewing techniques that are especially used in couture fashion. You feel fancier just having the knowledge of creating things such as a french seam, mock french seam, flat felled seam, it all sounds the same but ends up being so different when you learn it. As you watch the teacher you think it will be simple but it takes time and effort to nail down the techniques.

Later on, you begin drawing what feels like your thousandth croquis and draw some technical flats. Maybe if you have time you will draw some of your own inspired fashion sketches. In class, you will fit your model to every 1/8 of an inch making sure that it all turns out perfect. Depending on the fit you might choose to add darts to get the clothing item to fit your model better.

Later on, you will have a lunch "break" where you will most likely grab food to bring back into the fashion studio. You will talk to your friend about their designs and show off different clothing items to your classmates. Night time will consist of getting your fashion pieces perfect. This means late night bonding sessions with other fashion students.

At the end of the day, you will have no trouble falling asleep because you were busy creating from the moment you woke up. Your designs will be waiting for you tomorrow, and you can not wait to show the world all that inspires you.