How To Say Goodbye When Your Daughter Moves Out
Moms

To The Mothers Whose Daughters Are Moving Out, Sorry, Thank You, We Love You

Whether it is off to school or off to the real world, it's never easy to leave.

484
Zoey Leonard

Dear Mom,

It feels like yesterday that you were sending me to my first day of school. You've tagged along for endless and repetitive ups and downs. As my first year away from home has flown by, I have just a few things to say:

First, I miss you when I leave more than you know.

Yes, I talk about how ready I am to leave. Believe me when I say that it still will not be easy to say goodbye. In the midst of all the excitement of summer and going back to school, I have ignored the thoughts of not seeing you every day, car dancing or just eating a home cooked meal with you.

Secondly, I want you to know how much I appreciate you.

Mom, you have done more than I could ever imagine a single person could do for someone else. From watching and helping me grow as a person, to drive me around as a child, or even simply allowing me to chase my dreams of studying abroad... you have literally done it all while somehow balancing your life.

Thank you for loving me and encoring me to be the best version of myself. I am grateful for all the sacrifices you've made and the future ones as well, keeping my best interest in mind. I feel incredibly blessed that you are my backbone supporting me throughout my life journey.

Thirdly, I want to apologize.

I know there have been times when I have driven you up the wall and around the corner. Having a girl is not easy, but you've made it look easy. Thank you for having the patience with me to deal with the positive, negative and everything in between those moments. I am so grateful that you are there for me on the days that are the most stressful. Truth is, I will never stop needing these things... sorry!

Lastly, you have been and always will be my best friend.

You are the one person in my life that has always been a constant reminder of what is best for me. You are the one I turn to when I need advice, even if I do not take it. You know how to make me laugh when all I want to do is cry. I cannot wait to make you proud as I continue to grow and flourish throughout the next few years. I hope you know that it is all because of you. Your constant love, support, mom-daughter days, advice, and hugs are what keep me going. You have made me the person I am today (I hope you like me! LOL ) As a person who is proud to be your daughter and a person who is ready to embark on this journey, I thank you for being everything that I have ever needed and more!

Love always,

Your daughter