Through Dance, I Have A Voice

Through Dance, I Have A Voice

When it comes to really dancing, there should not be any rules, or specific steps, instead, it should be a time to be authentic, individual, creative and expressive.

201
Through Dance, I Have A Voice
Eustache Joseph St Lot

What is dance?

To me, dance is more than perfecting moves, and doing exactly as the choreographer tells you to. Dance is a set of movements embodied by someone to engage in or convey something; like a ritual, a story, worship, communication and/or emotions. Now, it is easy to look at dance as a set performance, an act or a spectacle but dance is more than that. Dance is not just an art but the art of doing movements that come from within. It allows the human being to step out of their comfort zone and connect to their feelings and body. Dance evokes change, creativity, individuality, movement, community and/or collaboration. Modern is my favorite type of dance because I get to let go and feel like a bird, free and limitless. Dance allowed me to feel when I was unable to transform my emotions into words.

When it comes to really dancing, there should not be any rules, or specific steps, instead, it should be a time to be authentic, individual, creative and expressive. It should be a time for you to turn off everything, let go of whatever is going on in your life and allow yourself to listen to your body. Listen to your body and move as it desires; who cares if it looks weird, you are doing this for yourself, not for others. Sometimes in this society, when people dance and perform movements that most are not used to or do not consider “dancing”, they try to make you feel bad and embarrassed of your movements; but who are they to define what dance should be or look like. Dance is a set of movements and it is anything and everything you want it to be. It is all around us and we do not even see it. We are so conformed to a technological and logical society we do not take the time to embrace our bodies and release. Dance makes a lot of people uncomfortable because it creates intimacy with not just yourself but sometimes others.

Dance creates a place where people are free to express themselves. A place that creates a community, where people can share a common interest, possible struggles, and difficulties. It is what I like to call a safe-haven. A place where I tune out everything and get lost. When I dance modern, I let go. My brain is no longer in control. My body takes over as the music syncs in and I lose myself in the music, or sometimes in the moment.

Over the years, dancing has really allowed me to understand what it is like to get in touch with my feelings and my body even when no music is playing. I have learned to appreciate dance for what is, and learn how to express my emotions without having to verbalize them. The most important thing I have learned from my experience with dance is that for me, it is not just an art or something I do to have fun; it is my escape and haven.

I would encourage you all to learn to truly dance by listening to your body and moving as it desires. Do not be afraid that you will mess up or look weird because it is much more than that; it is about learning to understand, listen and connect with yourself on a deeper and interior level. It is allowing you to have a voice without necessarily having to speak. With dance, you can tell a story, a dream, hopes, struggles, accomplishments, emotions and so much more.

Try to take some time today to listen to your body, let go and release. You might be surprised that you can dance after all if you just give yourself a chance to find out. Allow yourself to be taken away, escape, let go, and get lost while doing it!