D'Amontae Breland's style

D'Amontae Breland's style

Breland shares his style & his new song with us

43
D'Amontae Breland's style
Chelsea Bravo

What happens when you mix style and music together with an already creative and talented individual? You gain a force to be reckoned with.

Meet Winthrop business/marketing student D'Amontae Breland. Check out the Q/A below.

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me a little bit about yourself.

D’Amontae Breland: I’m a 21-year-old marketing major at Winthrop University. I was born and raised in Orangeburg, SC, where it was a little rough growing up because of how segregated it was. However, it made me very appreciative of the black American culture a whole lot, causing me to be proud of the young man I am today. I am a lover of history, culture, nature, people, the arts. I am very grounded and open to trying new stuff. But mostly I have a passion for style and music.

SB: Tell me about your role at Winthrop including any leadership roles, recognition, and positions you held while a student at WU.

DB:I am a second-semester junior business major with a concentration in marketing. I am also a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity, Inc.

A couple of friends and I are planning something very big! I do not want to give away too many details, but I am very excited and I hope to leave a legacy at Winthrop University with this event coming next year.

SB: Do you consider yourself to be enthusiastic with style and music?

DB: Yes! I consider myself to be a fashion enthusiast, someone who really respects the art of the designers and educates himself on current (and previous) state of the industry. But my main passion is music, I love music and I do not see myself doing anything in this lifetime besides being a performer of it. With my drive and ambition, I plan to make that happen.

SB: How would you describe your style?

DB: My style is very different. From day to day “my style” is something you could not pinpoint. One day I may be very inspired by the soul singers of the 70s like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Donny Hathaway, then the next day I could get dressed with the 1960 French Drama-Thriller Plein Soleil in mind.

One thing I will say that remains constant, in reference to my style, is a quote that I always keep in mind while getting dressed. It was said by Patrick McDonald, “We’re all blank canvases when we get up in the morning. And we paint ourselves.”

Every day I do not feel the same. Every day is a new day, a new vibe, you should paint yourself in a reflection of that feeling, whatever it may be.

SB: What opportunities have you gained as a result of your sense of style?

DB: So far my sense of style has landed me a few photoshoots with amazing local photographers like Christopher Smalls, DaRemen J., Amanda Chu, Alex Lacey, Jimi “Dammit Wesley” Thompson & Neesmith Onzeur.

Over the summer, I had the pleasure of meeting Saada Ahmed, co-founder of Everyday People NYC, Ty Hunter, stylist of Beyoncé, and musical artist Tweet, who all complimented me on whatever outfit I had on at the time.

Though it may not seem like much, I am extremely humbled and thankful that some people admire my style.

I could never imagine, in a million years, Beyoncé’s stylist complimenting me on anything or anyone wanting to photograph me.

It’s just all so crazy to me because I remember days back in my younger years, where I would be teased for having a big nose, having big eyes, being too dark and being too skinny.

SB: Who do you look up to in the fashion and entertainment industry?

DB: I wouldn’t say that there is just one person who I look up to.

People like Tyson Beckford, Lenny Kravitz, Adonis Bosso, Pyer Moss, Travis Gumbs & Joshua Kissi of the creative agency Street Etiquette, Kanye West, Dominique Hollington, Khorey and Torey McDonald, Broderick Hunter & those of the African based creative agency “I See A Different You” are just a few that I really respect, admire and look up to.

People that are successful at what they do, people that have made names for themselves but did not forget where they came from.

Especially for them to be black males, and to not be afraid to express themselves in the many ways that they choose to, definitely encourages me to not be afraid of who I am. It shows me that I am capable of making it to the top.

Lately, along with most of the world, I have been very inspired by Solange Knowles. Though she is not known for her designs, she is an extremely creative person, whether it comes to her style, fashion, music, directing, writing. Her along with Blood Orange front man, Dev Hynes, Lenny Kravitz, A$ap Rocky, Theophilus London, Rihanna, Lil Kim constantly give me inspiration.

SB: Tell me about your new song "Cut U Loose"?

DB: It was released on October 26, I've been working on this one song for over a year because I really wanted to make sure that it was perfect especially as my debut as a music artist. I am very proud of the release and having the opportunity to work with Charlotte-based music artist and producer Jason Jet. I have had a lot of positive feedback from family and friends. This song may or may not be about a person, but it definitely expresses the need to cut ties with any toxic relationships that prevent growth.

SB: How would you describe your genre of music?

DB: I would describe it as alternative, but it's heavily influenced by soul, R&B, blues, jazz etc.

SB: What are your long-term career goals?

DB: I know this sounds like a very wild dream but I really aspire to be a highly successful singer-songwriter. Ever since I was young, I knew what I wanted to do but I never wanted to sound foolish.

Now that I’m a man, and I have a few of the resources that I need to make my dream a reality. It’s time for me to buckle down and become serious. Now is the time for me to hone my craft and make things happen!

But in the unfortunate event that it does not work out the way I envision, I wouldn’t mind a career in fashion, possibly as a creative director or maybe even as a designer. I just need to end up with a career that I love and makes me happy. Isn’t that the goal?

SB: What is a fun interesting fact about you?

DB: Something interesting about me is that I have a slight belief in Zodiacs, though that sounds a bit crazy, I find it so cool how the time and place of birth influence personalities.

SB: Tell me about your fashion sense, where do you get your inspiration?

DB: My sense of style is something I inherited from my mom. She always made whatever she had on look so elegant. I did not realize until recently, that my mom really is a style icon in my world, haha.

While I was growing up, I did not have money to get the latest clothes or shoes, so I used to have to shop at thrift stores, not by choice. Somehow, I made it work. When I was a kid, I would not make many friends at school because of what I use to wear. Now that I look back on those times, I am glad because it taught me to be very creative. It taught me to not pay too much for clothing. It taught me how important it is to not let the clothing wear the man, but for the man to wear the clothing.

SB: What was it like being in your first fashion show?

DB: The first fashion show that I have ever been in was a fashion show at Winthrop, two years ago, curated by the IMC department. Everything was very professional and enjoyable, especially for me since it was something that I was not use to. In that show, I modeled a few styles of my own clothing, but I was styled by Winthrop Student, Candace Livingston. I am extremely grateful for that experience and I thank Winthrop Alumni, Bria Bethea, for having me in mind.

SB: Who are your favorite clothing brand designers? What does D'Amontae like to wear?

DB: I love Ann Demeulemeester, Marc Jacobs, Wales Bonner, Dior Homme, Dries Van Noten, A.P.C., Pyer Moss, Carven, Chelsea Bravo and Gucci (under the creative direction of Alessandro Michele). Fashion is such a doubtful thing; one season you may like the look, but when the next season rolls around you are wondering what the designer was thinking.

Choosing a favorite is more so of respecting the overall artistry of the designer and what they stand for. Like Pyer Moss, I do not care if his models come down the runway in nothing but their underwear. He will forever have me as a supporter because he was brave enough to use his platform to stand up for something he believes in, with knowing that many critics in the fashion industry will disagree.

I like to wear American Apparel.

SB: What are your goals as it relates to your educational career?

DB: With my degree, I plan to get a job as someone on the creative team of a fashion company or work at an Ad agency like Art Parter or KCD Worldwide.

SB: What advice would you give to the freshman class especially the young men entering the same career path as you?

DB: The best advice that I could give anyone is to “follow your passion.” Take as much (sensible) time you need to know yourself and make sure that you are true to that person. Many people get caught up in who people want them to be, and actually, forget that they have to live for themselves at the end of the day.

SB: How would you tell these young men how to best prepare for college?

DB: I would tell them to keep their minds focused on what they came here for. To a typical teenager entering college, it can seem like a different world, a world which is easy to lose yourself in if you do not keep your head on straight. Have fun and enjoy, but remember that everything you do has a reaction, whether negative or positive. As cliché as all of that sounds, it is very true. It’s very disappointing to see someone with a lot of potential throw everything away because careless mistakes.

SB: In a few years you'd probably be looking through Vogue magazine and see him modeling a designer custom suit or attending one of his music performance shows.

To learn more about Breland's style, music and future marketing career, feel free to stay in contact with him on the following social media handles below:

Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/leonetape/cut-u-loose

YouTube: Leone B. (https://youtu.be/pq5a_Gmd1vw )

Instagram: @leone.co

Email: brelanddt@gmail.com