Daisy Ridley's Delusion About Endometriosis

The "Star Wars" star's embarrassing let down to women.

132
Daily Mail

A recent Instagram post by "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" actress Daisy Ridley sparked an outpouring of love and support as the actress discussed her life-long battle with endometriosis. Various news outlets such as The Huffington Post called it “an empowering message” for the 176 million women worldwide who suffer daily from the often debilitating disorder.

To those who called it an "empowering message," buy a dictionary and look up the word empowering.

To Daisy Ridley: shame on you.

For the past 10 years of my life, I have struggled with a severe case of endometriosis that's caused excruciating periods, immense back, abdominal, and leg pain and handfuls of doctor visits each month. I've been on more prescription medications than I can remember. I've had numerous ultrasounds to help with a proper diagnosis. I've had phone consultations with doctors all over the United States, many of whom claim to be experts and none of whom actually know how to treat my condition. Last January, I had a laparoscopy done to see just exactly what was happening to my body. Like the famous Daisy Ridley, I've had acne.

Suffice it to say, the last side effect from the list above remains the most trivial part of my daily battle with endometriosis.

According to Mayo Clinic, endometriosis is defined as "an often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus — the endometrium — grows outside your uterus." Although a woman with endometriosis still has a monthly cycle, the excess tissue builds up and breaks down, but becomes trapped, with no way to exit the body, leading to the build-up of scar tissue and adhesions on the pelvic organs.

I know from personal experience that my endometriosis seriously and negatively impacts my quality of life. On some days, even the slightest of movements set off a series of pains and spasms that wrack my body for hours. There are days when giving into surgeons seems like the easiest option. Yet, I steadfastly remind myself that, one day, all of this will pay off.

Suffice it to say that, when I saw Ridley's post, my blood boiled. In the photo, she smiled and wore an acne mask and mentioned that her struggle with endometriosis and polycystic ovaries caused her skin to break out time and time again. Comments poured onto her photo, thanking her for her so-called bravery and "breaking the silence about a horrific disease."

I remain ever so disappointed in the choices that Ridley made when she wrote the post to accompany her picture. Sure, she talked about endometriosis and got it some publicity, but she did nothing to relay the gravity of the disease and the many, much more serious tolls that it takes on the female body other than acne.

As a celebrity, she had the chance to inform women of the symptoms and struggles of everyday life. Many women go their entire lives without knowing that they suffer from an enfeebling condition. Many women don't know that what they're feeling isn't normal. Many women feel alone, are often called "overly-dramatic," and are told to "just suck it up and deal with it."

Take it from me, someone who's suffered for half of her life, that we've all tried to deal with it and we just can't.

Ridley could've discussed the infertility rates amongst women with untreated endometriosis. She could've mentioned that patients with untreated and mild endometriosis conceive on their own at a rate of 2 percent to 4.5 percent per month, compared to a 15 percent to 20 percent monthly fertility rate in normal couples. She could've mentioned that 30-40 percent of women with endometriosis may not be able to have children.

However, she didn't.

The bottom line is that she could've talked about a whole lot more than just her damn acne.

Don't get me wrong, I've struggled practically my entire life with my skin and I know that it isn't fun. However, I also know that I've struggled even more with the more grave side effects that can ruin a day-to-day life.

So, to Daisy Ridley and all those out there who are praising her for a job well done: Is it really a job well done? I think that it's a job that's just been started.