My Dadaw is a cool grandfather. He’s not one of those old guys that smells funny and has a boring house. In my 21 years I’ve never met anyone quite like my Dadaw, and I highly doubt that I ever will. Maybe he’ll read this…maybe he won’t, but here’s some love for the best grandfather in the world.
1. I don’t know the real reason why I call you Dadaw.
I was too little to remember when it started. I can guess it’s because I heard Mom call you Daddy and your other grand kids call you Grandpa and those words merged together to create Dadaw. I don’t know, but it fits you better than any other name. You’ll always be too young, hip, and handsome to be a grandpa.
2. Thanks for teaching me how to fish.
And drive a lawnmower. And put out a fire that may or may not have gotten a little out of control. For teaching me how to ratchet something into the back of a truck. How to pinch people with my toes. And how not to make tea (seriously, dude, I don’t understand how y’all drink that stuff).
3. Thanks for not always letting me watch cartoons.
Robert Duvall is better than Spongebob Squarepants any day!
4. Thanks for making fun of Granny with me.
That old woman would be lost without us and she needs to remember that.
5. Thanks for always taking me out for breakfast.
Whether it be Cedar’s, Cracker Barrel, or McDonald’s (our favorite place, ha ha). It was always the best meal of the day.
6. Thanks for making sure that I never left your house hungry, cold, or with empty pockets.
7. Thanks for sharing your love of history with me.
I’d never turn down a good story about Bonnie and Clyde, Jesse James, the Hatfields and McCoys, and don’t forget Floyd Collins.
8. Thanks for always sharing your jar of pickles with me.
9. Thanks for teaching me the value of hard work by being the best example.
10. Thanks for always loving me.
For being the kindest, most genuine person I know. I wouldn’t trade you for anything.
I could go on for days about how great my Dadaw is. I could write a book about it and it wouldn’t be enough. I could type until my fingers bleed, but until you’ve had the honor of meeting him you still wouldn’t understand. My Dadaw may not have the most money or have a wall of degrees, but that doesn’t mean anything. He is the richest man I know because everyone who meets him loves him. And we are all a whole lot richer for knowing him. He always goes above and beyond for me and everyone he meets. He is truly an outstanding human being. The world would be better place if it had more people like Buddy Collins.
For me though, he’s my Dadaw, and I couldn’t be more grateful. I love you, Dadaw. Thank you for everything!