A Letter To My Dad, Who Doubles As My Best Friend

"There will never be a day that I'll take your love for granted as you constantly show me how important family is and why we need to stick together."

313
Stephanie Davies

It's easy to know how much you care about me when I'm reminded on a daily basis with multiple text messages and calls. It's not until I left for college that I realized how much of an important role you play in my everyday life and I wouldn't trade our relationship for the world. You and mom are my biggest fans and you constantly remind me how proud you both are which gives me so much strength in difficult situations. I appreciate you making my smaller achievements feel like bigger ones and my mistakes feel like little bumps in the road. There will never be a day that I'll take your love for granted as you constantly show me how important family is and why we need to stick together. Thank you for being patient with me and listening to my rants about life and working hard to make sure that my years are spent in the best places with the greatest people. I'll never be able to thank you enough for the days that I acted the worst which wound up becoming the best lessons.

You've taught me how to seek the best in people and look at the qualities within myself that need to be improved to better myself as a person in this world. It's easy to forget the days that you didn't give up on me but I promise you that I'll always remember how you've always been by my side. You've become my go-to person, someone that will always listen to my madness with just about anyone in my life and never judge me for my actions which is definitely hard to do. You always see me as the person you know I am on the inside, and I'll always be thankful for that. It's easy to take people for granted in general and you've shown me how important it is to remind those that you care about the most how much you love them on a daily basis. Your lessons and talks make me feel so much better and always cure a bad day, thank you for taking time out of yours to make me smile last a little bit longer. There will never be a day that I'm not reassured or questioning the love that you have for me.

I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to call my dad, my best friend. You'll always have a special place in my heart and I'm so fortunate to have you in my life. A family is one of the best features of life and having an unbelievable support system that my parents have created, has made it simple for me to feel loved and important. I hope to do the same with my children when I'm older so they feel the same way that I do today and forever.

So, dad, this one's for you and everything you do for me.