People Use This Every Day, But It's a Curse In Disguise

Our lives are slowly heading into inevitable destruction unless an effort can be made now.

22
Trew Chimenti

Nowadays, life appears easier and faster than ever before with all the technological advances that grace society. One may not think it, but technology is heading into the peak of its existence. It is a universal truth; technology has progressed greatly and continues to excel further. Ingenious scientists endeavor to create the technology that people expect in their lives. For example, within the last year, other articles have announced the inevitable creation of flying cars in the coming years, something that began to inspire people of the future since even before the first airing of “The Jestons.” With all these advancements, how could anything ever go wrong again?

In reality, these inventing, rich, powerful people cloak the truth about the technology that everyone uses. The ease and speed provided by technology appeals to everyone because life becomes easier. I'm not going to lie, even as I write this article I am using technology: the computer to type because it's faster, my cellphone to listen to music, the washer and dryer unit to do my laundry. I can't imagine doing things any other way. Having my laundry on a clothesline? Sounds crazy. However, the fact still remains. Technology, especially in excess, causes subtle damage.

By using the computer, my handwriting and spelling suffers. There is no spell-check on a pad of notebook paper. By using my cellphone, I am keeping myself from communication with the world. My family could walk into the room, and I could essentially ignore them. I'm living a life opposite of "Carpe Diem." The only positive note is my laundry. I don't live in an area where a clothesline would be effective, and the washer and dryer allows me to get more done in a faster period of time. Anyway, the damage, like I said, isn't something great, but any type of damage can have eventual long term effect.

In today's society, technology controls us, not the other way around. The use of technology is out of hand and grows worse with each passing day. We've become technological zombies and lost core values that this nation and world have been built on. It feels like we've forgotten what it means to have a real life, to be human. There have been three distinct times in my life in which I've recognized this horrific truth. One was through a Youtube video while browsing the internet one day, another was during a conversation with someone from a class of mine, and the other was recently with the creation of Pokemon Go, the hottest game right now.

The YouTube video is actually one of the best videos I have seen. It centers entirely around the use of technology, how it harms us in such basic and imperceptible ways. Accurately named, “Look Up” enlightens everyone who watches what really happens when technology is the only thing focused on, when cellphones or laptops are constantly used. I just watched the video again for the sixth time, and now sit to write this article without my phone. If you'd like to watch it, which I completely recommend click the link here. I'm sure everyone has experienced at least one of the things shown -- or did it themselves.

While attending a class in college years later, a classmate and I held a conversation where she talked about her job on campus. She works the phones, contacting prospective students regarding additional paperwork needed to ensure admission into Eckerd. I remember two distinct sentences she said to me: “It's amazing how these kids don't know how to communicate on the phone at all. They have no ability to have a proper conversation with someone.” This world today is defined by the use of texting, social media posts and tweets, likes and comments that really mean nothing in the real world, but when it comes to social person-to-person interaction, it seems like we've lost the ability. I had to work hard to become even partially social around others again, and it all began by using my computer and cellphone less. Life is about socializing with others, getting to know their strengths, fears, joys, and regret. That is what makes us human, something more than the other members of the animal kingdom.

Finally, Pokemon Go has taken the gaming world by storm. While it's an interesting concept, it's amazing how dangerous it can really be. The first time someone mentioned it to me, I was in an elevator at the library with a friend. Neither of us were using our phones. What would be the point? I'm with someone to spend time with them. Across from us is a man who starts a conversation by saying, “You're the first teenagers I've seen the last couple of days not on their phones looking for Pokemon.” I laugh at this point and mention I'm not interested in playing the game. I'm twenty years old now, and while Pokemon was once my life, it no longer is. His next response shocked me: “That's good. You won't believe what I've seen. I've had to pull back three teenagers from walking into open traffic just to catch a pokemon.” Three people. He saved three lives, lives that were only put in danger because the people were staring down at their phones instead of watching the cars on the road. I even had a friend over recently who said he drove around for a couple of hours to just catch pokemon. He was playing the game in my house as we were hanging out and watching TV together.

Technology is in control of our lives. I've seen it, experienced it. My brother is always on his cellphone whether on kik or social media. My father is always texting or playing games on his phone even at dinner. I could be talking to him, and he wouldn’t even hear me because he's so absorbed with a game or a message on his phone. I'm guilty of it too sometimes. I don't realize I'm doing it until someone brings it up, and I pretty much only use my phone to read or research certain topics. I have three apps: Wattpad, Gorilla Workout, and WhatsApp. If even these three measly apps can contain my attention, I'm glad I deleted the other twenty from my phone two years ago.

We all need to try to contain the technology we use, to control what we created instead of the created controlling us. Life could end disastrously if left to continue as it is now. If you've never read the novel "The Circle" by Dave Eggers, I encourage it wholeheartedly. It's a portrait of where our lives are slowly heading.

I'd love to hear what you all think of technology and the things you do or use. Do you agree or disagree? Let me know in the comments below.