9 Curly Hair Tips, Tricks And Hacks
Beauty Fashion

9 Tips, Tricks And Hacks To Make Your Curly Hair Live Its' Best Life

Let your curls thrive!

157
girl with curly black hair
Cassidy Burger

Being a curly headed lady I've had my fair shares of trials tribulations when it has come to my hair. I've had countless bad hair days growing up. You think you've had bad hair days? You should see some of my childhood photos. I went through a phase where I tried to brush my curls out because I wasn't allowed to straighten my hair. Clearly, that was a terrible mistake that I regret dearly.

As I've gotten older I've learned to love my curly hair. I seriously wouldn't want it any other way. But it has taken a lot to get to that point. It's taken lots of tips, tricks, and products to make my hair the best that it has ever been. I believe that all girls with curly hair deserve to fall in love with their curls, and I know how it hard it is to find the right remedy that works for your curls.

Over the years I have found out what works best for me and what keeps my curls strong, healthy and bouncy. Some of these tips will work for everyone and some won't. Figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle.

1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! 

Anyone will tell you that curly hair loses moisture way faster than any other hair type. It is so important to deep condition your hair once or even twice a week. This will give your curls the extra bounce they need and replenish them. My absolute favorite deep-conditioner that I found in high school is the Aussie 3-Minute Moist Miracle. It's $2.97 at Target and will last you a long time. My favorite "luxury" deep-conditioner is DevaCurl's Melt into Moisture which retails for $36. This may sound pricey, but trust me it will last you for months.

2. Invest in some scrunchies 

Not only are they coming back into style, but they are truly the only type of hair ties that don't rip my hair out. Every other type of hair tie I've owned regardless of whether or not it had metal on it has ripped chunks of my hair out. Scrunchies are relatively cheap, cuter than regular elastics and even look a heck of a lot better when worn on your wrist as opposed to a black hair tie.

3. Do not use a towel to dry your hair 

I know, you're probably thinking "Is this girl crazy?" Well I am definitely not. A few years ago when I was really struggling with my hair I came across a blog with millions of tricks. The one that stuck with me was to not use a towel to dry your hair. A regular towel will cause your hair to frizz, while a cotton T-shirt won't rub against your curls the way a towel will. Since I read that article maybe four or five years ago I haven't used a towel on my hair. Sure you get some funny looks when you walk around with a T-shirt on your head in the communal bathroom, but you'll get tons of compliments when your hair is nice and frizzless.

4. Always ask your hairdresser if they have experience in cutting curly hair 

Nothing is worse than having a bad hair cut experience, and I have had plenty. Too many to even count. I have spent many nights crying thinking about how I was going to get out of school the next day following a terrible haircut. Many hairdressers are experienced in cutting curly hair, but do not be afraid to ask them multiple times if they for sure know how to cut your hair. It's much better to be safe than sorry.

5. Do not let anybody convince you to get layers if you do not want them

Everyone with curly hair has been told at one point or another that their hair would look great with a bunch of layers. This may be the case for some people, but it is definitely not the case for everyone. I've had layers multiple times over the years and have come to the conclusion that I hate them. They always give me major "triangle-syndrome" (when the hair takes on a fluffy, boxy pyramid look) and I end up looking like "Hey Arnold!" So if you know that you don't like layers on you do not let another hairdresser convince you that this time will be different. Chances are they won't be!

6. Skip the shampoo

Say buh-bye to shampoo forever! Well not forever, but for a week or two at a time. Like I said earlier, curly hair craves moisture. Most shampoos have sulfates in them that strip the hair of its natural oils that moisturize the hair. People are now starting to say that washing your hair less is the key to healthy hair and it really is! Most people can go a couple days without shampooing their hair, but girls with curls can go about a week or even two! Curly hair usually doesn't get oily so you can really get away without washing your hair. But, I know what you are thinking? Won't my hair be super gross and dirty? No! Instead of shampooing your hair everyday use just conditioner instead. It will still clean your hair and give it a mega moisturizing boost! Then use both shampoo and conditioner when it is time to wash your hair.

7. Read the labels on your products 

When buying hair products most of us just go with what's cheapest or what has the cutest packaging, which I am totally guilty of myself. Unfortunately, it's not that easy for those with curly hair. When buying products me sure to make sure your shampoo and conditioner is sulfate-, paraben- and dye-free. That may seem like a lot to have to look for, but I promise you it is not. A key tip is to look and see if the first ingredient is water. This means that it will be moisturizing and not dry out your hair. Many brands are actually switching to sulfate-free formulas.

Here are a few brands that are cheap and great for your curls:

Love Beauty and Planet

The Pantene Pro-V Gold Series

Maui Moisture

Organix Brand

8. Put conditioner in your hair before you go swimming

My entire life I always wanted mermaid hair and never had it. All my straight and wavy haired friends always did while my hair just got frizzy. This made pool days and beach days very sad for me. Then one day I just decided to put a whole bunch of conditioner in my dry hair before I went swimming. Surprisingly, this was one of smartest things I've ever done. Say goodbye to frizzy hair and hello to hair like Ariel.

9. Embrace it 

This sounds incredibly cheesy, but it is so true. It is much easier said than done but it is life-changing. Loving your hair is just one step towards being a more confident you. These tips won't guarantee you endless great hair days. You will always have some bad ones. But doing some of these will help guide you to the road of amazing curls.