10 Cruise Hacks for First Time Cruisers

10 Cruise Hacks for First Time Cruisers

It's time to set sail!

89
10 Cruise Hacks for First Time Cruisers
Carly Meyers

Going on your first cruise? Congrats! Once you go on a cruise vacation, there's no going back. A different destination each day, endless food and being surround by exceptionably happy vacation goers is only the beginning of a cruise-goers lifestyle. Having been on my fair share of cruises, I've discovered a few tips and tricks to make your cruise the best vacation yet. So pack your stretchiest pair of leggings, a swimsuit and your sunglasses because it's time to cruise!

1. Pack your things in a suitcase, NOT A DUFFLE BAG!

Save yourself embarrassing looks from vacationers at the cruise port while you scream at the ceiling in pain (yes, I've done this). If you're driving yourself to the cruise port, you've got quite a walk with your luggage my friend. Pack it in a suitcase, roll it down and out of the parking garage, and continue on in your happy vacation mood. Or, give up and just drag the duffle bag all the way to luggage pick up. Your choice.

2. Bring extension cords with outlets

I promise you, this will be a game changer. In every cruise room I have ever stayed in, there has only been two outlets. With my entire family each having a phone to charge, camera batteries, hair dryers, straighteners and everything else that needs a daily plug the two outlets have never been enough. Use those two simple outlets to plug in two extension cords with 8 outlets a piece. Boom, nailed it.

3. Guys....the food is FREE!

Sometimes at night I fall asleep dreaming of cruise food. Not only is it delicious, endless, and always around, IT'S FREE! I would be lying if I said I didn't order multiple entrees at brunch or dinner just to try it. But the crowning jewel of cruise food has to be room service. Never order room service at hotels because it's too pricy? Now is your time to shine my friend because yes, room service is also free. Nightly cheesecake brought to my door, here I come.

4. Don't become shore excursion obsessed

Shore excursions are activities that you can purchase to participate in when you get to certain ports. These usually include things like snorkeling, zip lining or even cave tubing. The problem with this? If you purchase a shore excursion, it usually means that you must be ready to get off the ship as soon as it's at port. This is usually around 8AM. An 8AM departure time plus a day full of adventure in addition to all your nighttime fun starts to spread you thin after a few days. You're on a cruise, take time to relax! Sometimes the most fun can be had sleeping in, getting some breakfast and spending the day exploring the island and shopping around.

5. Don't be afraid to meet people!

Unlike in reality, you cannot hide behind your cell phone on a cruise. People will start conversations with you everywhere. Riding the elevator, in the buffet line or even during a conga line around the pool. Everyone around you is in just of much of a vacation happy mood as you are, so get to know some new people! With cell phones out of the picture, cruises are a great chance to get to know the real side of people. Within my cruises I have not only met my best friend, but my boyfriend as well. So trust me when I say talking to just about anyone can pay off for longer than just your vacation.

6. Sunbathing 101

7

Planning to lay in a beach chair all day for your relaxed day at sea? Sadly, so is everyone else. Trust me when I say you will not be able to get a chair for the entire day unless you reserve one early. I set an alarm for 7AM, go put towels on enough chairs for my family, and head right back to sleep until it's time for brunch. Also, it's windy on a cruise ship, so make sure you bring towel clamps to hold your towels down. Other cruise goers have always respected my towel claims, and so I have always spent my days at sea laying in a beach chair get tan, or rather burnt.

7. Play it safe while saving your money

While adventuring off the ship, you're bound to get hungry sooner or later. Don't want to go back for lunch? Many of the food places on the ship will let you take your food to go! Grab a burrito or sandwich and put it in your bag for later. That way, you don't have to pay for food off the ship. Also, some the restaurants off the ship don't have to follow the same sanitary standards, you're not in the good ol' USA anymore! It's best to play it safe and eat food only from the ship. I've had family members get food poisoning from eating off the ship, and trust me that should not be apart of your vacation itinerary.

8. Bring your own sunscreen

I promise the item that you will never think to pack is sunscreen. When you do remember it, you'll tell yourself that you'll just buy it there. HUGE mistake. Sure, you can buy sunscreen on the cruise, but do you really want to buy it for $20 a bottle? For the first time in your life you will find yourself wishing you were at Walmart once you see the price tag. Buy a few bottles, pack them in a plastic bag and save yourself from being the lobster red tourist.

9. Take advantage of the activities

Your cruise will give you a daily list of on-ship activities that you can participate it. Between Beyonce dance classes, plenty of shows and jackpot Bingo, there will a variety of activities to choose from. Take advantage of this, because next week you'll be back on the couch moaning that you have nothing to do (that, and Beyonce dance class changed my life entirely).

10. HAVE FUN!

You're on vacation, have a great time! Whether your idea of fun is laying by the pool all day, losing all your money meant for textbooks in the casino or ordering room service and watching a movie, you do you honey boo boo. It's a ship, you can separate from your family and do your own thing. So get ready to set sail, because it's time to cruise!