Cruelty Free Drugstore Makeup

Awareness of the inhumane animal testing practiced by numerous cosmetic companies is on the rise. In case you didn't already know, here's the rundown: animal testing is conducted on rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, and mice (i.e. all those adorable, furry creatures that we claim to adore) so that companies can ensure the safety of new products and ingredients. Despite the fact that these animals are often blinded, poisoned, or killed, the practice is still legal in 80% of countries.

However, more and more cruelty-free companies—over 600 worldwide—are being established. These companies say no to animal testing by using ingredients whose safety is already determined. When they want to use a new ingredient, they avoid endangering animals by testing with artificial tissue or test tubes.

You don't need to go to a high-end makeup store to find their products, either. In fact, some of my favorite cruelty-free makeup finds have been from Target or CVS—and were under $10. Check out these ethical makeup companies that are saving animals, and your wallet.

1. E.L.F.

This company, founded in 2004 with a goal of making beauty products affordable and accessible to everyone, is by far the most affordable option on the list. Despite the low price tags, however, their products really deliver. Fan favorites include their baked highlighter ($4) and brown sugar lip exfoliator, a $3 steal that will make your lips feel brand new.

2. Wet n Wild

Another extremely inexpensive brand, Wet n Wild is known for their inclusive shade ranges. Their Photo Focus Foundation, which I swear by, is available in twenty different shades—and provides quality coverage, despite its natural finish and lightweight feel.

3. NYX

This makeup brand has recently made its drugstore debut, but still delivers products that feel high-end. Their liquid lipsticks have serious pigment and staying power (seriously, touch ups are a thing of the past with this product). Some even claim that their Baked Blush in the shade "Foreplay" is the perfect dupe for the cult classic Nars Orgasm blush.

4. Pixi

Makeup gurus swear by Pixi's Glow Tonic for a perfectly smooth and (you guessed it) glowing base. Pair it with the Glow-y Powder for a truly lit look. The cost of this brand's products are a little pricier, but the favorable reviews speak for themselves.

5. Milani

I have an unfortunate tendency to rub my eyes throughout the day, and therefore elaborate cat eyes are usually not an option for me. (It's definitely not because I can never get the wings to match). If I ever feel like mixing it up, however, I'll definitely be reaching for Milani's Infinite Liquid Eye Liner—the rave reviews claim that this long-lasting formula is practically "bulletproof."

6. Physician's Formula

All my ladies with sensitive skin, this one's for you: this brand, created by an allergist in 1937, pledges that their makeup is hypoallergenic and safe for even the most sensitive of skin. Also, rumor has it that their aptly named Butter Bronzer smells like a tropical vacation—so if you can't make it to the beach this summer, fake it with this.

7. Real Techniques

Of course, you're going to need some brushes to apply all this ethical makeup you're buying! Real Techniques has a perfect dupe for the beloved Beauty Blender, as well as every face and eye brush you could ever need.

If you're looking to save some money this summer, give these brands a try. Your wallet, and thousands of animals, will thank you.