The Biggest Problems With The School System Today
Education

5 Crucial Things That Are Wrong With The School System

We all know the school systems are flawed...but since when did it become something that is discussed on a weekly basis?

5515
9 Crucial Things That Are Wrong With The School System
Hurlburt Field

It could have been any time. When you first got into middle school, high school or even just some random day in the middle of the year. But, most of us have that realization during some point of our school life, that the school system just doesn't seem to work the way it should. You may know ten different ways something can be done better, but you have to sit there and endure the policies that were put into effect ever since the concept of school began. These are some of the biggest mistakes that schools make every single day.

1. Schools teach us the "what", not the "why".

Anyone in school can testify to learning hundreds of random facts, but never understanding why this fact came to be, or why we are learning it in school. We are given boundaries that we can simply not cross according to the school curriculum. And so goes another day filling our brains with random information that has no connection to us.

2. In school, being generally smart and being good at taking tests are two different things.

Unfortunately, I've seen this phenomenon way too many times. I know several people who are smart and intuitive, but their grades aren't as high as they can be just because they aren't good at taking tests and learning random information. Schools reward being able to make good grades on a test, not on how smart or accomplished an individual actually is. Pretty much all grades are based on assessments, right?

3. School doesn't let students promote their individuality.

PxHere

The goal of school from the beginning has been to keep everyone in line. The second you're different from the crowd, you're neglected. Seriously, why do schools always say that they treat everyone equally when the dropout and drug rates are so high? "You better be good at academics or you don't have a chance." Not true in today's world.

4. Technology in the classroom is hurting everyone.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the fact that we're allowed to bring our phones to school and I'm pretty sure that in this century, most people can't spend an hour or two without having the world at their fingertips. But frankly, it's getting to the point where people will be playing Fortnite under their desk in class or snap chatting someone during a lesson. And no offense, but you guys wonder why you're failing the class. It's not helping your teacher's frustration at their students either.

5. Students forget everything within weeks.

Well, that's a lot of students you're talking about that completely forget all the curriculum in a few weeks. But why is everyone forgetting their curriculum? Because of the bland way that we are taught the material. I'm not talking about learning the material with more technology or make it more suitable from a tactile perspective. I'm saying that there aren't enough connections to make from the information we're learning and our lives in the real world.

Everyone, from colleges to parents say that quality goes over quantity in everything. Do things well and thoroughly, even if it's only a few things. Why must we learn so much random information in school and only touch the surface level of what there is? It makes school tedious and things become easier to forget. If school is supposed to prepare you for college, what kind of preparation is doing too many things and forgetting about them a few weeks later? Schools should focus on a few key concepts and extend as much as they can upon those. Everyone gets to slow down and really absorb the concept instead of choking it down in a few minutes.

School can be made into something useful if they change a few major things about them, a place where students can stop wasting time and actually learn in-depth things for their futures in college and careers. You're much less likely to forget something if it's repeatedly explained and extended upon, so you can make the connection that best suits you. You're the individual, so don't let school define you.