Criminal Minds Character Analysis

Criminal Minds Character Analysis

Profiling the Profilers *watch out for spoilers*

443
Criminal Minds Character Analysis

The show Criminal Minds is a lot of people's favorite, and it's certainly not because of the serial killers (although, some are wuite intriguing). Rather, I believe the bond that the Behavioral Analysis Team has created, or the one the script writer Jeff Davis created, is what gives the show it's impeccable appeal. From Morgan's charm and courage, to Dr. Reid's incredible genius, we all have a favorite character, and it takes all these specific characteristics, and some intense cases, for this team to work well and the show to be such a huge success.

First up is the one and only Aaron Hotchner. A serious and stoic character, he is what anyone pictures when they imagine an FI agent, so it would make sense that he be the chief of the unit. He speaks low, and exhibits little emotion, which makes him that much more respectable and authoritative: when he does speak, you know it's something important, and people never fail to listen to him. *spoiler alert* It's only when he experiences the depths of guilt, sadness, and pain with the loss of his wife and the horrifying experience of being blackmailed by a serial killer that you know he is human, and you sympathize with him, feel his grief. He is a man of few words, but his sense of duty and pride is simply ineffable.

Nearly the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Penelope Garcia, the tech analyst for the BAU. Interestingly enough, she was hired after proving herself to be an efficient hacker, and reverses the standard for a government official in every way: rebellious, colorful hair, pop-cultured, and talkative. I would argue, however, that most cases would have twice the number of victims if not for this tech wizard; her inhumanly speedy fingers and intuition are critical to the team's success. And, of course, the clever banter between her and Morgan comprises an important aspect of the team dynamic, a phone call without "Hey baby" is definitely missing something. It's safe to say that no one could ever be bored with Penelope Garcia.

Emily Prentiss is our next member of the team, and she isn't everybody's favorite, mostly because people think she doesn't stand out. Which, compared to the rest of the team, is believable, but not reasonable, considering all the facts. Emily brings a sense of stability to the team; she's a person who doesn't easily become flustered or angry, and that's a quality that's very underrated. She also is witty, kind, and smart. If anyone was going to be my best friend on the team, I'd certainly choose her.

We come to Morgan now, the brawn, and the eye-candy for many. Who would disagree? He's got the looks, the charm, and the bravery to accompany it. But what I value, and what I believe the team values most about him is that he is the raw definition of moral goodness. Coming from the streets of Chicago, from a poor neighborhood, we see his passion to serve the people and do good in every case, a stance on the moral spectrum that does not waver. He stepped up when Hotch had to step down, and willingly descended the ladder once more when Hotch was ready, even though he excelled. He always puts others before him, and his decisive, black/white analysis of the world is greatly needed when things tend to get blurry.

In this next paragraph, we will look into Rossi and Gideon. Though Gideon does leave the show and Rossi takes his place, the two certainly have similar tendencies and patterns, which is most likely why Rossi excelled as a replacement to Gideon as a functioning unit of this team dynamic. Gideon was meticulous, thoughtful, and most importantly followed his instinct-- an aspect of profiling not typically lauded, as profiling itself is such a subjective field. Gideon approached each case as its own, put himself in the place of all persons involved, and truly thought exactly how a serial killer does. Rossi, with years of experience and expertise, certainly knows how killers think, but does not enact the same authority and emotion when applying this knowledge, which is probably why, even 6 seasons in, I still miss Gideon.

And last, but not least, is Communications Rep. Jennifer Jareau. Though her job actually isn't profiling, she brings a lot of skill and psychological understanding that aids the team in many ways, whether it's understanding the culture of a region, or empathizing with the family of the victims. It's also entertaining to follow her love story with Will, and her baby (don't we all love the side stories throughout this show). Anyway, she's a kind and uncomplicated person, whom the BAU definitely needs in their complex analysis and procedure.

I don't think this will be useful for anything, but I love this show, and I wanted to put my thoughts out there. I certainly believe that the BAU wouldn't be what it was without the brilliant dialogue forming the team dynamic, and how that worked to solve their numerous cases.

Haha, you thought I forgot Reid? No, I was just saving the best for last..

Dr. Reid's contribution to the team, and to the happiness of many teenage girls is immeasurable. Not only does he provide knowledge, analysis, and theoretical ability that speeds up the case by weeks, in the least, he's also the kid. The pure, good character that everyone can't help but root for. In his chase to find the truth about his past, we all were right there with him supporting him, loving the people he loved, and hating those he despised, no matter the evidence. There's a reason that more girls I've met want to date him and not Morgan; personality is where it's at. And I still remember how excited I got during the episode of the first season where the actress in trouble had a crush on him, and he didn't know what to do. In a way, I suppose his social awkwardness mirrors my own. But in the few times he gets angry, you know he has every right to. Because he's simply never wrong:)