Creative Majors Aren't 'Dumb'

Creative Majors Aren't 'Dumb'

Who said being creative was easy?

109
Creative Majors Aren't 'Dumb'
55 Hi's

News flash: You can be smart and not be a STEM major.

Even before I declared my major, I saw articles and posts about how people who major in art-related fields or fields not involved in the STEM aren’t as smart as individuals who are. I’m sorry but what?

You can be smart and write amazing novellas. You can be smart and paint incredible scenes on a canvas. You can be smart and sing your heart out during a musical. You can be smart and still pursue whatever major you think fits you and your interests best.

Intelligence should never, EVER be limited to what someone decides to pursue as a major. As a Communications major, I find it rather offensive and hurtful that people think I’m dumb because of my choice of major. My major doesn't automatically rule me in as 'one of the dumb ones'.

The fact that I enjoy what I’m learning is what makes me smart. I was smart enough to choose a major that wouldn’t make me want to lose my mind. I simply wouldn’t want to be a STEM major - I don’t like anything having to do with those majors, and while I was pressured by my family to become one, I decided not to because it’s just not what I want.

It's also very presumptuous to say that art-related majors are generally 'easier' degrees than STEM majors. For some people, this may be true, but something that you love to do can still be extremely challenging. I have a friend who absolutely loves biology but constantly struggles with his biology-related coursework. This to me heavily applies to Theater Arts majors; the major often requires physical exertion daily to prepare for shows, which adds to the mental stress of learning the ins and outs of professional theater. It is also incredibly hard to stand out in a crowd full of people who are just as talented and just as hopeful that they'll one day be on Broadway (it takes a lot of work to be in the theater in general, but that's a story for a different article).

So to all the English, Communications, Theater Arts, Music, or other art-related majors out there who feel stupid for being a major that has to do with the more creative side of things - more power to you. You are what will change the world in a different way. Just because you’re not set out to invent the next new technological gadget, you’re contributing to society in a unique way and you are doing what you want. You are still valid and you are probably some of the smartest people out there, so keep on keepin’ on.