How To Create The Best Writing Space For You

Your mind might be ready to write, but you should make sure your environment is also productive for you.

44
Molly Goebel

If you talk to any writer or author, there is almost a guarantee that every one of them will say they write in a specific place or with specific circumstances. Like they can only write if they're in public or need to have tea or have to write on paper first or they need specific music. Well, there's a method to their madness. Especially as you grow as a writer, you begin to recognize your ideal writing space as well.

Finding the right space for you to write can be crucial to the productivity and impact on your writing. Some writers can, of course, work through any circumstances, but others may need specific accommodations to ensure a successful writing session! If you're a writer reading this, or even just someone who needs a specific space to complete any type of task, you can relate to the importance of how to find that special space.

There are a few things that can be adjusted or focused on that you can make changes to in order to find your ideal writing (or even just productive) space.

The first is the actual area where you write. This could mean you feel more comfortable writing somewhere private or public. You could be in a cafe or a library or a bookstore or at a park, etc. Or you could have a specific room in your house where you like to write or a private space you know you will be left to your own devices. Some writers may need to be at a desk or some feel they write best in the comfort of their bed. (While people preach about never doing anything but sleeping in your bed, some people can be productive while in the comfort of their bed with no care to the impact it has on sleep.)

Once you figure out where you are most productive or write most efficiently, there are other factors to take into account to ensure you have the ideal space for your writing. Another important factor to take into account is the sounds around you. This goes for anyone, not just writers, as some people love being surrounded by other people and can deal with outside noise and conversations. Some like no sounds at all and get easily distracted by conversations. Others may enjoy listening to music while writing. This could be a whole other factor: finding the right writing playlist. There could be specific songs that make the tone of the writing project you're working on and it can be used to motivation as well as inspiration - go for it! Or you could just thrive off having good jams while you write. But some people may not be able to write while listening to songs with lyrics, so it's important for those people to find good instrumental playlists that work best for them!

With the place and sounds adjusted to personal preference, it is next most important to recognize if you need (specific or not) food or drinks while you write. Personally, I cannot multitask while I eat, so maybe I write with a small snack or water occasionally. Normally I do not though. Other writers may need their coffee or can eat a meal while they write. For me, food can serve as a distraction when I write. So, if you can write in either type of situation, it is best just to be able to recognize how you feel that day: easily distracted, hungry, tired, etc. That way you will be able to tell if food or drinks will be a distraction or if you need them to stay focused.

Now, this next factor can be the most challenging to tackle. It is technology control! The ideal situation would be no technology at all -- especially no phones! However, most writers nowadays write on their computers, so there's no getting rid of that piece of technology. The number of times when I've been writing and been distracted by checking my phone or end up spiraling down some random rabbit hole on another tab is too many to count.

To try to overcome the technological distractions, plan to write away from your phone if possible. Put it in another room, across the room, or keep it tucked away. As long as it away from your view, and specifically if the screen is face down, you will be less likely to be drawn to it. As far as computer distractions, just try to close other tabs or avoid opening sites that you know will lead to your downfall (like YouTube, or any social media, and even Spotify sometimes). This is more of a test of personal restraint. Just keep in mind that you have the power to not distract yourself -- don't give in to those distractions!

Another helpful tip that goes hand in hand with the technological distractions is to have any needed research done and ready by the time you are going to write. That way you won't have to pause your train of thought to look something up, you can just look at notes you already have. I have found that physical, printed-out research or notes are the most helpful instead of having it on another tab, so I can see it all laid out in front of me while staying on the page I'm writing on.

Finally, the factor that I sometimes consider the most crucial to a productive writing session (besides already knowing what and how I'm going to write that specific piece) is to avoid interaction with other people. Talking to other people can disrupt the train of thought or completely derail the rest of the writing session. I have found that by letting people know I'm going to write or telling them not to interrupt me, I find myself more on task, being more productive with my time and my writing, as well as finding more peace in my writing space as it becomes just for me.

So, now that you have some tips on how to create the best writing space for you, I hope that you will have more productive writing sessions (or are just more productive with whatever task you are trying to tackle as these tips could be applied to most things). Finding the ideal writing space for you comes with time, so don't stress out if you can find "your perfect" right away. Eventually, it'll click and then only you can stop yourself from everywhere your writing could go in the future!

Last quick tip: Don't get in your own way! The first step is just writing in the first place, so good for you -- some can't bring themselves that far.