To The Person Who Craves Adventure...

To The Person Who Craves Adventure...

"You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible."

50
To The Person Who Craves Adventure...
Corbyn Jenkins

To the person who craves adventure,

I am a lot like you. I too constantly crave the feeling of exhilaration that flows throughout your entire body when experiencing something new. Adventure takes you out of your comfort zone and creates a journey that changes you from who you were to who you are meant to become.

Being born with the “wanderlust gene” is such an incredible gift whether you know it or not. You are given this constant hunger inside of you that simply cannot be quenched, no matter how many journeys you embark on. There is always something new for you to see, something different and trust me; you won’t stop until you do.

For years I have dreamed of experiencing the entire world. I dreamed of living in an artist flat in London with bookshelves covering each wall. I dreamed of sitting outside a cute cafe along the cobbled streets in Paris writing a book while breathing in the cool, crisp air. I even dreamed of walking to work in the rain in Seattle while listening to the “feels playlist” on my iPod. I found myself having so many goals and dreams and one day I said to myself, “I need to stop dreaming and start planning.” So that’s what I did.

I started to travel around the states and saw some pretty incredible things and my hunger for adventure was near contentment. However, I began to realize that something was still missing. I wasn’t completely satisfied. It occurred to me that I needed to get out of the country. I needed (yes, needed) to see what else was out in the world, beyond where I currently stood. I gave myself a few months to save up enough money, plan where I would go, and tie up any loose ends and I flew to Ireland to discover my roots.

Before my trip to Ireland, I had been having an extremely rough time. Things were tough with school, sports, friends, and just life in general. However, as I stepped off of the plane, I sensed that I had entered a world that was unlike anything that I had experienced before. I felt my life change. Sounds incredibly cliche, but it truly did. I remember the exact sight, smell, sound, and feeling. The days spent in Ireland felt enchanting. I left everything behind me and let Ireland take charge. I went from being stressed and depressed to being truly happy. I had no idea that I was capable of having such an immense amount of happiness inside of me. It was a feeling that I will never forget and will cherish for the rest of my life.

As I spent my week in Ireland and walked down the cobblestone streets, I experienced an intense and life-changing relationship with Irish people and culture. It had me convinced that in my heart Ireland is my home. It was as if I had been lost my whole life and finally found where I was supposed to be.

Ireland engages every one of the human senses, unlike no other place. It’s landscapes, food, drinks, weather, people, and wonders all came together to create an happiness inside of me that was indescribable. As I boarded my plane to head back home and we took off, I had tears streaming down my face. People were looking at me like I was crazy. But, they weren’t aware of the intense connection that I made with Ireland. They weren’t mindful of the fact that I was leaving the place that truly felt like home. My key to true happiness and I miss it.

There is still so much out there in the world that I dream of experiencing, and I plan to do so. It is going to take some time, but I already know that it will be well worth it. It is what I am meant to do so I will make it happen.

My point of this is to persuade you to stop dreaming and start planning. Find your place. Find your home. It is out there somewhere, and as a girl who craves adventure, I promise that your heart will never be truly fulfilled until you do so. As Will Traynor in, “Me Before You” says, "You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible." So do it.