8 Tips That Every Traveler Should Know To Make Safety A Priority This Holiday Season

Whether you're flying or driving, these tips are life-savers!

15
Photo by Jacky Watt on Unsplash

In the middle of a pandemic, keeping in touch with family and friends can be difficult. Travel is a great way to ensure everyone is connecting and doing alright. In these times, you need to consider yourself and others as you travel! Here are a few tips to use when you're out and about this winter.

1. Get tested for COVID-19 before your departure.

Please request a COVID test kit before traveling, especially if it is by airplane or across state lines. Airports can be super-spreader locations, so it's best to know that you will not be putting anyone, whether stranger or family, at risk. Getting tested for COVID-19 can be fairly simple! Some CVS locations, as well as clinics and urgent care centers, offer testing at little or no cost. For the students in your life, ask campus health centers! Some are offering free test kits for their students over the holidays, which can save on time and money as well.

If you are traveling to visit elderly family members or those who are immunocompromised, it is best to remove as much doubt and uncertainty about possibly carrying the virus as possible.

2. Wear your mask at all times.

Please be sure to keep your masks on as you travel as well! Air circulation filters can help block out some particles, but not all. For this reason, it's best to have your own layer of protection, even if others around you are also wearing masks. It is considerate and safer to have all parties wearing masks and socially distancing rather than half. Wear a mask to protect yourself, if not others, and don't be afraid to wear a mask that matches your outfit or has a cute design on it! Go crazy and have fun while being safe and sanitary!

3. Wipe down your airplane seat and hotel items.

Airlines: Can't live with them, can't live without them. During the end-of-the-year rush, cleaning procedures get a little rushed. To account for that, try travellng with a small packet of disposable wet wipes. These can easily fit in a carry-on or personal item bag, and the process is as simple as wiping down any surface you might touch. Since airplanes also tend to get a little smelly, I would recommend ones with a light scent that you enjoy! This is one way to ensure that you'll be clean and smelling fresh! When you get to your hotel, feel free to wipe down any and every surface that other guests or employees might have touched as well.

4. If you're staying at a hotel, consider declining the housekeeping service.

Housekeeping can seem like a blessing at any hotel. However, most people don't want strangers touching their items and entering their space on a daily basis in the middle of a pandemic. To limit exposure to others, ask your hotel if they could not clean your room while you stay. This way, employees won't have to invade your space, and you won't have to worry about the higher risk of contracting COVID. Even if you don't have housekeeping, you can always request clean towels from the front desk, as well as new soap, lotion, and shampoo.

5. Call ahead at restaurants.

Per fire code, all public areas are required to have and adhere to a capacity limit. With COVID-19, capacities have been reduced even further. Plan ahead and call ahead to your dining area of choice to see if they have your preferred choice of seating ahead of time. If they take reservations, you can also put your name down for a certain time so that your table will be clean and ready for you by the time you arrive!

This helps limit the time you and your party spend inside waiting, as well as giving the restaurant staff ample time to properly sanitize and accommodate seating so it is socially distanced.

6. Hand sanitizer is your new best friend.

Trust me on this. Stock up on your favorite scented hand sanitizer. Betting on public locations having hand sanitizer might work, but not all hand sanitizers are created equal. Some industrial-sized bottles tend to run a little thicker and sometimes leave a sticky residue, especially if you keep applying it. For a general rule of thumb, once you've applied hand sanitizer enough times for your hands to feel sticky, it's time to properly wash your hands for a minimum of 20-40 seconds.

Stores such as Bath and Body Works and Francesca's offer hand sanitizers that contain 60-70% alcohol at great scents and even better prices. If you would rather stock up on multiple travel bottles at little to no cost, most dollar and grocery stores carry them!

7. Clean your rental car.

If you are using a rental car during your travels, feel free to stop by a car wash! It's a great way to clean the outside of the car, and most places offer vacuums to clean the inside as well!

If you'd rather not spend the money, you can also wipe down all surfaces inside the mail cabin with disinfectant wipes to reduce the chance of harmful bacteria being on the surface.

Although it's not possible to filter cabin air without changing the entire filter, make sure to clean the vents as well, as dust and particles can collect on there. Drive without interior circulation to ensure an even air flow that isn't entirely closed, and if it's not too cold, feel free to crack a window to get some outside air inside.

8. Wash your clothes.

No, seriously. You'd be surprised how many unsanitary surfaces your clothes touch in a day! When traveling in the era of COVID-19, make sure to wash your clothes as often as possible, or separate them from unused, unworn clothes. This can help lessen the chance of bacteria from spreading from the fabric. It can also help keep things organized for laundry day. Don't be afraid to change clothes after doing activities and coming back to your hotel room or residence as well. Think of it as an excuse to change into comfy clothes or pajamas when you decide to turn in!