The Corona Virus Is Not An Excuse To Be Racist

It has gone too far.

23

Coronavirus has become a huge epidemic that is affecting people all over the world. The media has reported the most up-to-date news about the virus, which is helpful but has brought up a lot more issues than just the spread of the virus.

This virus was reported to be found in a fish market in the epicenter of Wuhan, China. Because it was found in China, this sparked a lot of negative opinions about Asian people, Chinese people more specifically. It has been quite some time since the outbreak, but with the virus constantly spreading, more people have become more fearful of those who are Asian.

It was recently reported by CNN that there have been racist attacks against Asians in Los Angeles and New York subways. In both cases, the victims were Asians who were wearing face masks. Face masks are worn to protect the face from breathing in any dangerous chemicals and block out pollution. Many people in Asia wore these face masks, long before the virus even broke out. Unfortunately, the Asians who wore face masks were attacked verbally and physically. Comments such as "diseased b***" and "every disease came from China" were made.

Sometimes people don't even say anything towards them but their actions and the way they react towards Asians shows that they're fearful of them. If an Asian person sneezes, others would back away but it would be very noticeable that they believe that every time an Asian sneezes or coughs they have Corona. I have personally encountered this multiple times, sadly.

I am Vietnamese but many people like to assume that every Asian person is Chinese. There would be many occasions when I would stand in line at a supermarket and I would have to sneeze. I sneeze into my elbow, but whenever I sneeze the people around me noticeably avoid me and give me a stank eye. While I am grateful that no one has physically or verbally attacked me, little remarks like that are still hurtful and still indicate hints of racism because of the news surrounding the virus.

A virus is a virus. It has nothing to do with anyone's ethnicity or race. Even though the virus was reported there, it does not mean that Chinese people are the only ones who contracted the virus. It also does not mean that all Chinese people have the virus. This breakout is not the time to be attacking and blaming others. In fact, it is the time that we should all be contributing and helping to find ways to stop spreading the virus and to find a cure. Just covering your face when you sneeze or cough is great prevention. Washing your hands with soap is also a great way as well.

The coronavirus is a horrifying epidemic, but it should not be a reason to attack others. Many people are afraid of contracting the virus, but now many Asians from all over are now scared of the virus, as well as being physically and verbally attacked because of it.